myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
MISTRAL Prodigy mast position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPonHudson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: MISTRAL Prodigy mast position Reply with quote

I acquired this board which appears to be a student version of Prodigy. I mean it seams to have similar specs but different color scheme. The mast track is very long so I wonder if anyone could advise me how to set it up for sails 5 to 7.5m. Ideally I would like to upgrade to adjustable track but I don't even how to begin and what parts I would need. BTW. I am 212 pounds and I use a 46cm fin
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the intent was to have this board be a course racing class even vying for the olympics. long board course racing is/was all about going thru extreme wind angles with max speeds.

forward mast track positions are for larger sails and sailing on tight reaches upwind on or off a plane. dagger boards help get lots closer to the wind. heeling straps forward help the sailor use dagger and forward mast postion to sink the leeward rail and chug upwind.

aft positions are for planing off the wind

that's as simple as it gets.

if one is using a huge/small fin, one may with trials find the optimum base position for board/sail/fin combo's.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly forward if not planing, mostly rear if in planing conditions. Likewise use the centerboard if not planing.

I think they use later model Equipe parts for the track. Check with windpower they might have spares.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say all the way back is "0" and all the way forward is "100."

For daggerboard-down sailing (non-planing) you want the track set at 50-75.

For daggerboard-up sailing (planing or hoping to get planing) you want the track set at around 25.

If I'm using a fixed mast base position and I'm not sure if I'm going to be planing or not, I think I would err more towards having the mast track back in the planing position, but that's just my preference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: