myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board advice for 95 L Bump and Jump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
Another personal testimonial from Kevin at Sunset says the STB freewave is a chop eater (Crissy in SF), they seem to have the right formula. Performance in rough conditions very high on my priority list.

Most do. My RRD FSW 90 goes almost as fast as a slalom board in chop and swell because it goes through chop like it is not there.
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search over, Fanatic STB TE free 95 coming in a week. For those of you who have sailed, I have never sailed tri-fin, how does board sail differently single fin vs tri fin?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small tri front fins are more stable on jump landings, and more predictable getting on a plane, should be a hair slower in flat water, hard to tell in confused chop, and need tail fin just barely smaller than singles.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
Search over, Fanatic STB TE free 95 coming in a week. For those of you who have sailed, I have never sailed tri-fin, how does board sail differently single fin vs tri fin?

As I mentioned above, I don't notice thrusters until I push the main fin beyond its capabilities. That can happen in modest conditions if the main fin is very small, or much later if running a normal-sized main fin. Also, tris sail much like singles, while 4s sail much like 2s, and those two genres sail quite differently from one another. I have some singles that out-slash some tris, and vice versa. You have to include all the shape factors, not just the fin count, to answer your question.

I wanted to try out the latest and greatest stubbies like the STB TE and the Starboard Kode, and was steered by an extremely knowledgeable guru to start with the Kode, as it was less skatey than the STB. I love loose, but am not a fan of skatey. (I associate "loose" with precise, accurate, slashing and carving, while "skatey" takes away the precision and introduces more directional slop than I want.) I'm glad I tried the Kode first, as it was already too sloppy for my tastes, and the STB is skatier/sloppier yet. Some people, though, sail with less power than I prefer, and may prefer all the headstrong indecision of these truncated stubbies.

One thing is almost guaranteed: you WILL enjoy your new board, for at least two reasons:
1. You paid a lot of money for it.
2. You will spend far more time on it than I did in my one-day test. Buds who bought these stubbies said it took them many days to dial them in because they sail so differently. Once dialed in, they were very happy with their stubbies.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestylers who normally sail with 18cm stub fins like a 10-17 setup on their tris. Old school backfoot sailors need 10-22 setups, so the tail absolutely holds in.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets know how it goes...
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:

The major traits will be snappier turns, holds to the water better, even more in turns, goes upwind better.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it was Sunset Sailsboards .

Since it has a powerbox, you can sail it single or tri, easy then to determine which you like .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to pick up a set of slotbox plugs should you want to ride in single fin mode.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a brand new board, plugs will come with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: