myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board advice for 95 L Bump and Jump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
Search over, Fanatic STB TE free 95 coming in a week. For those of you who have sailed, I have never sailed tri-fin, how does board sail differently single fin vs tri fin?

Freshly TESTED! full review here: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/board-tests/#2017-Fanatic-Freewave-STB

Nice board! Pretty light even with the nose protector on. The tri-fin lets you have a little more top end at the expense of planing and speed. It's quite comfortable. You can try both and see what you prefer.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

top speed, how? in the PWA experience, how has that ever been seen? in humble florida wave sailing, single fins seem to out perform in any wind condition remotely onshore when upwind planing power and top end speeds are essential. those with multi fins, even when extremely lit tend to under oerform, i wonder why? is it just the indian? or, are these highly touted arrows just the latest sizzle?

reminder, this thread is about free riding, AKA bump and jump. lift to drag ratios on multi fins vs singles have nearly always favored singles.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top end VS speed.

If someone has better control with a multi fin set up, a higher speed could easily be obtained vs a single. The time it takes to get there is likely to be longer.

If speed is your need then a single has been optimum for some time.

B&J , doesnt always mean back and forth in flattish water.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B & J for me when using a 95 L board on L Michigan is either steep harsh chop (SW wind) or big swirly 3-4 ft swell (N wind), no flat water. To go fast either fly off the chop or maneuver around it, don't mind a slightly slower ride if I can relax.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be very happy with the Fanatic Stubby FW. I've never tried mine as a single fin because it is so good as a tri fin, but on my other FSW board (Quatro Tetra), changing from tri fin to single fin makes a big difference in early planing, at the expense of suddenly making it much stiffer. So single fin for flat water blasting and tri fin for waves is a great option to have.
dhmark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the board wet and that was about it, air temp low 40s, water temp mid 50s, side shore 28-40 knots, went out, fell, sailed back.... not a good day to test the new (used) toy. Might need a longer center fin; came with 19cm, did not seem to hold well, upwind hard to tell in the conditions.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
don't mind a slightly slower ride if I can relax.

When I get so old that I need relaxation, I'll give this up for kiting. Very Happy
But I hear ya ... I like to at least have some say in whether I'm crapping my shorts or not. I'd also guess from testing them in nicer conditions that these seriously sawed-off stubbies are not in their best element overpowered in wind and chop.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dhmark

Don't be discouraged. Seems like a pretty extreme day to try to get used to a new board. Don't know what size sail you were on, or where you mounted your straps. (I'd say go with three, not four) Take a look at http://www.fanatic.com/forum/ to get some good info on where to put them for best results, same with mast position, although I run a little forward of center by 1-2 cm.

It will take just a few more reaches to get in the zone with those boards, I can tell you from first hand experience. I'm a "seasoned" sailor, like you, looking for comfort and control in big chop. Found the FW STB to fit the bill perfectly. G/F, who is intermediate, also quickly got comfortable on the same board, a 95. We share overlapping sizes and liked them so much we now have 4 of them. (not sponsored, just know what we like)

I think the stock fins are pretty marginal, but spend most of my time on tri weed fins so haven't ridden stock ones a bunch. Try a larger mid fin and see how it goes, although if you were on a 3.2-4.5 (?), you were probably OK, just need to get stance and position dialed in. They work great as a single fin set up, but the tri is really fun and turny in the bigger stuff.

It's a sweet board. You're going to have some fun on it.
dhmark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not discouraged at all, just unusual conditions to try a new board, the windiest day I've ever sailed in my current location. Just happy to have survived it. The other sailor there that day said to be careful, if the wind picks up the board and puts it down 50 ft away its going to Indiana (side shore wind at the beach but offshore 200 yards down).
westender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"28-40 knots" on a 95? Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: