myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Are Windsurfing Hydrofoil interchangable w/ Kiteboard foils?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted on your progress.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are buying Slingshot stuff get the Infinity 84, not the original H2 wing. Locals who switched call it night and day better.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
I wanted to thank you all for your wisdom on the topic and let you know it has helped me focus on products which will likely help me progress smoothly into foiling. I've decided to get a dedicated windsurfing foil 140+ liter board and the matching foil to go with it, including a short mast and a standard length mast. I keep convincing myself that toys like this is why I've been saving money for my retirement!

A sincere thank you to all who have posted. Follow your advice I will!

Do yourself a favour and order one of these as well.

https://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=106&idcategory=142

I just cracked the nose on my second board. Thought I was over the learning curve and did not put one on.
thombiz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I do more research, I'm starting to get the feeling that there is a groundswell movement away from deep tuttle boxes and towards parallel "slots", think two US boxes side by side. This would make it possible to use foils from any of the disciplines on a board with the two tracks. For example, to make learning easier, you could mount a SUP foil on a windsurf board. As I understand it SUP foils kick in at much lower speeds and are very stable compared to pure windsurfing foils. Also, beginner foils are much more stable than racing foils. The attached pic is from a Naish kiteboard, but the concept would also work for windsurf boards. The tracks allow adjustment to find the precise balance point to mount the foil, and since different disciplines have different balance points the choice of foils is greatly expanded.

Foil double track.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  151.73 KB
 Viewed:  8169 Time(s)

Foil double track.png

Last edited by thombiz on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a user friendly foil and a foil board that work together and fit your skill level and the type of riding that you do at your favored sites. Getting a SUP or wave foil for lake conditions makes no sense. It does make sense to get a foil system that you can later change foil shapes on, a bigger one for more lift in light winds for example.

Learn how to use the foil and board that you purchase. Don't confuse the issue by purchasing multiple foils now as they all work a bit different and that won't help your learning process. When you have figured out how to use the system you purchased, you will have an idea whether or not you would like to try different foil shapes and sizes and which one that would be. Thus pick a foil brand that offers different shaped foils that fit on to the foil fuselage that you purchase.

This industry is changing rapidly so don't spend a huge amount of money on a foil system that uses a propriety mounting system on the board, or that only offers one foil shape, as there is no standard on foil mounting systems thus foils are not interchangeable from brand to brand.

If you are like me, you will beat the stuffing out of your first board and foil. My board has been to the board Dr. twice now. Don't spend the 401 saving account on the board just yet. There are lots of deals now........

KMF
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two US Boxes: surf/WS cross over foils and kite foils. Just because a kite foil bolts up doesn't mean it'll be any good for WS (likely won't). Damn near anything works under a kite (observe a twintip).

Tuttle: pure surf foils and pure WS foils, usually the faster WS ones.

SOME surf foils work OK for WS if they have a wide speed range. At this point only Naish and Slingshot fit the bill. Other surf foils are simply too slow, they are designed to not outrun waves after all.

There is a lot more than simply mast position at work here.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if your just want to fly easily, have a stable foil that isn't blazing fast buts fun to ride, go with the Naish set up. The two track system use to be a pain to mount your foil. You need to match 4 screws to mount your mast. For 2019 Naish came up with a system that allows you to leave a mounting plate on the board and one screw to mount your foil. If I were getting a new set up I would go with the Naish board and foil. Lastly the foil track system allows for mirco adjustments on the placement of the foil...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: