myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carbon small grip booms
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeron, Goya, RRD, Simmer, etc are all aeron booms. Severne, Chinook, Neilpryde are different.

I used to sail with mitts often on big old school booms and it worked quite well!

I tried opened and closed designs. Poked some tiny holes at the ends so water would drain. The downside of wearing mitts was in transitions where we cannot spread and extend our fingers like with some other gloves.

The grip between mitts and boom I believe is more important than the diameter itself. Some grip more than others. Dakine mitts have such a thin grip, they work well until maybe their grip wears down?

In tennis, racquets are sold with precise grip diameter. We often wrap extra grip over the original one. I wish diameters were more standardized in windsurfing.

Some grips can also be quite thick (talking about only the grip, not the tube itself), it may protect our ribs from impacts but I like mine as thin as possible and have sanded some down. 1mm reduced thickness = 2mm reduced diameter Smile !

jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Silly question: have you tried palmless mitts with dishwashing gloves under?

I use the thin palm dakine mitts for cold weather. JP
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get the boom and tried it out. Warm out so bare hands. Seems like a good boom. It came with a cheap slippery outhaul line, which is now replaced.
I will comment that the sail felt more rigid than I remembered. I sailed an Ezzy Elite 5.3 with it, and the fact that I had used my Taka 5.4 last few outings might be part of this perceived difference.
Will report back on how it goes with gloves. Seems to be cooling down fast right now. I have two gloves to try: My dakine thin palm mitts and I have some 5/3 ripcurl surf gloves that I use with the sup.
JP
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeter wrote:
I did get the boom and tried it out. Warm out so bare hands. Seems like a good boom. It came with a cheap slippery outhaul line, which is now replaced.
I will comment that the sail felt more rigid than I remembered. I sailed an Ezzy Elite 5.3 with it, and the fact that I had used my Taka 5.4 last few outings might be part of this perceived difference.
Will report back on how it goes with gloves. Seems to be cooling down fast right now. I have two gloves to try: My dakine thin palm mitts and I have some 5/3 ripcurl surf gloves that I use with the sup.
JP

I doubt the Aeron came with cheap slippery line (or, it's possible I'm wrong)... however I think it's more likely it came with expensive slippery line.
Is it white? Cause it's likely that expensive formuline stuff... Spectra... and other names.
This expensive line first showed up, as very strong downhaul line, but is often also included these days with booms as outhaul line. It is very strong and will last a long time. It's also very slippery which many people like cause it supposedly reduces friction going around pulleys etc. And although I suppose this is also true, I would rather have strong line that's more grippy and less slippery and easier to tie-off, and un-tie, and have it stay where I want it. Not a real big deal... just mentioning it, cause you said the Aeron came with cheap slippery line... and I don't think think they'd use cheap line on an expensive newcarbon boom.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Spectra/Dyneema in the pictures. It's well worth its exorbitant cost. It still looks and works like new after many years on all my boom and bases.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line on Aeron is spectra.

Simply the world's strongest fiber. DyneemaŽ is a super-strong fiber. Available in white and as Black DyneemaŽ, it is made from Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) and offers maximum strength with minimum weight.

Both dyneema and spectra are UHMWPE.

The outhaul , I might actually prefer in a less slippery composition, only rarely do I replace OH, and easy enough to see if frayed . If it breaks on the water , you may be able to cleat off the remainder . Downhaul line is a different matter so as safety.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
flaherty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the line break on the front clamp of my chinook small carbon boom. Yea it was pretty worn, but luckily I was not too far off shore. The fin hit a sand bar while blasting along at the west end of West Dennis a couple of months ago.
I went over the handlebars hooked in. In a weird way the line breaking may have altered my slam , made it straighter. So check the front line of your chinook boom, which I have two and love them.
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap or expensive, the line was on the short side and not easy to rig with my Ezzy sail. The Elites need a decent amount of outhaul tension and distance.

Still no cold weather report, last outings still warm. JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: