myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Storm Front

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Storm Front Reply with quote

Saturday was a blast! Arrived at Barn Island Boat Launch at around noon. Rigged up the 2.8 in anticipation of the big winds which were forecasted to reach there by 1 PM. The winds picked up on schedule and got a good hours worth of winds blowing 40-55 mph.
Winds dropped of a bit to 35-45 after that, requiring me to switch from my 69 liter to my 78.

By the way, another Portapottie blew over as I was out there.

Lars
villani

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DrWind, How would Roger Wheeler Beach have worked for your last couple days out vs. Barn Island Boat Launch, Scarborough and Matunuck? I have not tried Harbor of Refuge, but seems do-able for W-SE wind, more manageable, without the shorebreak, though foregoing the surf. Thx. Dan
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering that myself. I went to Hammonasset and it was brutal! The wind averaged close to 35 all afternoon and never dropped below 30 with gusts to near 50! I watched most of my old friends on 4.2's get thrashed while I sat on the beach. Way too windy for me on a 4.2. I love Hammonasset on a west wind. This was too extreme.
DrWind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some brief footage taken by my windsurfing buddy Mark.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10218025923825434&id=1406354686

According to my GPS, I sailed 29 miles in 2.5 hours before my phone ran out of battery.

Lars

Last edited by DrWind on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
DrWind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Did not go to Harbor of Refuge as it was closer to go to Barn Island, also I was running out of time as the cold front was quickly approaching and needed to time to rig as I knew the mega blast was not going to last long (1 hour). Normally the HOR is my go to spot for extreme conditions. My parents used to have a condo at Point Judith so I sailed there quite often.

For the noreaster the week before, it could have been doable from Galilee in a NE wind but would be side-offshore. If you did get into trouble you would probably end up on the jetty.

The Harbor of Refuge has 3 good spots, George's Restaurant (Galilee), Roger Wheeler, and over by the Fisherman's Memorial Beach next to the lighthouse.

George's is great for a W-SW. Here you just to the lee of the west jetty, so you get flat water sailing, but get some nice breaking waves out towards the opening in the jetty. The waves diffract around the opening so the waves are breaking perpendicular to the wind direction.

Roger Wheeler is great for all directions except NNW-NE. I have sailed through the jetties on either side from there, nice rideable waves when you come back in from the outside. Probably sailed my windiest day here during Tropical Storm Bertha. Lifeguards ended up kicking us off the beach due to the fact that someone reported there was a tornado, which ended up just being the squall that we had just sailed through. We just packed up and went over to Fisherman's.

Finally, Fisherman's, which is probably my favorite. This spot is great for SE-NW. If the winds are from the south the waves come through the jetty opening. You get nice waves without the shorebreak as the beach is protected my the east jetty. Have sailed outside the jetty here many times. Have also launched from the outside of the jetty on an east wind.

Lars
jpeter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure PJ would have been any tamer, I was working but saw the wind was sustained at 55mph for a bit. Here is a photo from a week or two ago "inside" the jetties. Granted a big day, but you can see it's not exactly a pond in there. The boat is sitting in a safe spot. JP

TEMP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  96.91 KB
 Viewed:  27305 Time(s)

TEMP.jpg

DrWind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay,

That photo is surreal. You should frame it.

Lars
villani

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lars.
/Dan
jpeter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Lars, Chris shot them with my camera while I was sailing the sup. (5 to 30mph winds at the time) A few more crazy ones: tower of spray, and massive wave barreling behind the jetty.

5DSR19553 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  896.71 KB
 Viewed:  27154 Time(s)

5DSR19553 copy.jpg

5DSR19555 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  572.81 KB
 Viewed:  27154 Time(s)

5DSR19555 copy.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: