myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil injury
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As more and more ppl at our local beach getting into foil, I try to give them initial safety foil tips: no foot straps or very loose foot straps, no harness, smaller sail, keep weight on board, etc...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good point ISO. Also I try to give the same advice about foiling Sergio.
My newbie foiling friend is taping up his ankle and giving it a try again today.
He took off his straps and said no harness and a size down sail this time. Pain is a great teacher. 10 to 18 today much better for a second try...
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Slash down foil injury Reply with quote

Yeah those are are all good tips for shure!but a foil dedicated foil board like a Horue tiny or naish hover with the soft front rails no digging in during splashdown will help a lot also plus their compact shapes helped my learning a lot! just my 2 cents.just a old Pennsylvania peckerwood with 2 much gear!
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Slash down foil injury Reply with quote

wdsurf wrote:
just a old Pennsylvania peckerwood with 2 much gear!

That brings up an interesting question irrelevant here but worthy of its own thread: What is "too much gear?" How is that determined?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Slash down foil injury Reply with quote

I know I've got too much gear if I get to the launch and can't decide what to rig. ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
That brings up an interesting question irrelevant here but worthy of its own thread: What is "too much gear?" How is that determined?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days I have a storage facility, and that's for only part of what I've got.

Regarding foiling, I don't have a single board that is wide enough to foil. Foiling only steps up the gear thing in a serious way.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Countless sports and weekend warrior careers were ended or heavily impacted by ankle and/or other -- especially soft-tissue -- injuries in their youth. Advising people to ignore such prospects is irresponsible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yla-ucIDGcg

Coachg
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my take away.

To get started use a slow foil and a short mast. Naish and Slingshot are good choices, and Slingshot has different length masts to start with.

A slow foil is important. Speed makes every crash worse, and that could be the difference between nothing happening and a injury.

If you can get a foil board too, they will nose dive into the water less and prevent some crashes.

Most importantly at the very least loose the back foot straps, and maybe the front ones too while learning. I no longer use a back strap. I like being able to position my foot exactly where I want it. My front strap is extremely loose. When my foot is in the middle of it, I am not touching the strap at all.

Should I have a crash I think that will help prevent an injury.

I should also mention when starting just windsurf. Don't try to come up right away on the foil. Just come up inches and then go back down. If you think you are going to come up half way on the foil mast the first day you will crash.

Once I just focused on windsurfing which is comfortable and did not worry so much about being up on the foil I started to get the hang of it slowly over multiple sessions.

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
isobars wrote:
Countless sports and weekend warrior careers were ended or heavily impacted by ankle and/or other -- especially soft-tissue -- injuries in their youth. Advising people to ignore such prospects is irresponsible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yla-ucIDGcg

Coachg

Shawshank's false dichotomy ignores the obvious middle ground we all have to balance to some degree almost every day. A whole season is infinitely more valuable to me than a loop or a Vulcan, just as becoming the top desert racer in Utah by finishing every race well was more important to me than winning one and missing the rest of them due to serious avoidable injury. Wish to hell I had bailed out of the jump in which operator error cost me that knee.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
A whole season is infinitely more valuable to me

I realize this is hard to understand, but this topic isn't about you & U2U2U2's advice about the young wasn't aimed at you so it wasn't irresponsible advice.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: