myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
attaching sail/rig to snowboard
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: attaching sail/rig to snowboard Reply with quote

i have an old snowboard that i want to try and attach a rig to. seen videos and pictures online. just wondering if anyone attempted this here. and if there were any tips as far as placement . worst that happens is i end up wrecking an old, obsolete snowboard.

cheers
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually wrong, worse that could happen is old, semi- obsolete human gains new experience with health care , wheel chair , and swear word vocabularies.

According to some on here, gorilla glue and tape. Lol

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use 3/4 " wood screws and attach a chinnook base to the board about 1/3 back from the front of the board. The longer the board the better. Take the bindings off. I glued rubber non skid the really nubby kind. took the board to local golf course it worked and it was fun. I did it about 30 yrs ago.

I also attached hockey skates to an old water ski and went ice sailing(use a really small sail) were protection helmet knee/elbow pads teeth guard etc

lots of fun ways to get banged up LOL
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On snow is the one place a kite makes more sense.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:

I was going to suggest the same thing - kite.

Not sure how you would switch tacks on a traditional snow board with your feet locked in the bindings.

The snow sailing I’ve done was on a dedicated board that had windsurf style foot straps that allowed you to switch your stance for port vs, starboard tack. It also had a pair of “mini skegs” at the tail that allowed it to handle more like a traditonal windsurf board so the sail could be used to steer (rather than relying on the rail of a regular snowboard).

sm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
use 3/4 " wood screws and attach a chinnook base to the board about 1/3 back from the front of the board. The longer the board the better. Take the bindings off. I glued rubber non skid the really nubby kind. took the board to local golf course it worked and it was fun. I did it about 30 yrs ago.

I also attached hockey skates to an old water ski and went ice sailing(use a really small sail) were protection helmet knee/elbow pads teeth guard etc

lots of fun ways to get banged up LOL

So if I follow, use a 2 bolt Chinook,(or other 2 bolt) screws insert in holes into the snow board ..?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:

I was going to suggest the same thing - kite.

Not sure how you would switch tacks on a traditional snow board with your feet locked in the bindings.

The snow sailing I’ve done was on a dedicated board that had windsurf style foot straps that allowed you to switch your stance for port vs, starboard tack. It also had a pair of “mini skegs” at the tail that allowed it to handle more like a traditonal windsurf board so the sail could be used to steer (rather than relying on the rail of a regular snowboard).

sm

Snowboard bases can be angled so both front and rear are the same or, forward or rear. A typical set up is 15 degrees positive front, 5 negative rear. Which ever foot is forward.

SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I used 4 3/4 in stainless screws from the top down. It worked best in 3-6" of powder.

Now the ice board that was truly scary...I was living in Toronto at the time and Lake Simcoe was the place to go.

I took an old Cypress Garden water ski and screwed two hockey skates side by side in the front and one blade where the fin was. The 1st trial was mind blowing it wind was about 20 and I had rigged a 5.0. The ice was smooth and I stood on the board sheeted in and off it went it just kept accelerating no real control. I stepped of the board and just slid to a stop(long slide) turned the board around and barely sheeted in and off it went.

A local OPP was in the parking lot and he used a hand radar and clocked 55mph. I had a motorcycle helmet in the car and some other guys had hockey pads.

To steer it you needed to step on the tail and un weight the front to go off the wind. No more than a 3.0 was ever needed.

Another snow toy was the Snofer.....Charles Ceprraggi invented it. I used to Windsurf with him a bunch at Lake Simco thos was back in the early to mid 80's through 2000 or so.

We saw lots of cool stuff on the ice. One guy would tie a bar with a powerbase and bungy cord them to his hockey skates with a sail and power around on the ice.

I also made a "thing" 3 snow skis one longer in the middle attached to two convex bridges and did similar to the snow board thing.

The outside skis were canted about 6degrees so the outside edges could ride on the ice and hold a bit. This thing was pretty versatile, it could run on snow and held an edge on a bit of ice.

Ah those were some fun times.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am still doin it !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yibUwbt82O4

and have tried MANY contraptions
NOT a fan of the snowboard version ...
two of them work great - the ice model and the other when the snow is not deep

this year i am working on a deep snow version
(where kites rule btw)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mN3u8gdrvcY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe....very cool. Very close to what I made. Did you ever see a snorfer on your home ice?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: