myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Four seasons of foiling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Four seasons of foiling Reply with quote

Wind in North Texas is a challenge (especially on lakes and in land).. September 2017, I tried my first foil (NP Flight Aluminum) and it all took off from there. The amount of time on water with foiling in gusty/light wind areas is unbelievable! Here are 4 seasons in 4 minutes Smile

https://youtu.be/WTdyL7k2trY

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video. I got maybe 20 sessions under my belt so far. How do your Naish and JP set ups compare? I'm thinking Naish for my next foil and board...
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Four seasons of foiling Reply with quote

CoreAS wrote:
4 seasons in 4 minutes Smile

OK, despite how boring a video of four minutes on flat water sounds, you made me look even if only because I've windsurfed lakes all over Texas, including Dallas. WOW, was I wrong! Foiling, schmoiling; you simply created an excellent VIDEO. The variety of colors, points of view, equipment, activity, and more brought everything ... not just the reaching and jibing ... alive much better than would four minutes of north Texas "scenery" passing by the camera. Thank you.
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Great video. I got maybe 20 sessions under my belt so far. How do your Naish and JP set ups compare? I'm thinking Naish for my next foil and board...

Thanks Novaan!

Sounds like you're enjoying the foiling..it is a great sensation, for sure!

I use the Naish 142 Hover board and 70cm mast Thrust foil for medium to strong winds. it is very stable and great all-round freeride foil set up. I am very comfortable with air to air jibing with it. Max speed so far is around 21.3 knots. I will typically use a 5.8, 5.0 and 4.5 Naish RAF sails.

I use the JP 135 foil pro board, NP/F4 foil, mainly with a 7.8 RS Flight sail and 6.7 V8 (sometimes a 5.7 Hellcat). The board and foil is geared towards speed, and getting upwind as fast as possible. its quite technical to jibe as its much more sensitive to movement and pressure. Max speed 27.8 knots

We are lucky to have an assortment of foiling equipment here in Dallas, other foilers have slingshot, LP, Horue etc so we can swap over boards, and foils to find out which type or "style" fits our foiling needs.

PCfoiling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Four seasons of foiling Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
CoreAS wrote:
4 seasons in 4 minutes Smile

OK, despite how boring a video of four minutes on flat water sounds, you made me look even if only because I've windsurfed lakes all over Texas, including Dallas. WOW, was I wrong! Foiling, schmoiling; you simply created an excellent VIDEO. The variety of colors, points of view, equipment, activity, and more brought everything ... not just the reaching and jibing ... alive much better than would four minutes of north Texas "scenery" passing by the camera. Thank you.

Kind words isobars Smile you have a keen eye for detail...and I agree it took me a while to figure out how to make a long clip somewhat exciting!!

I typically keep videos no more than 90 seconds.

For this video, my general rule of thumb is keep each section less than 5 seconds and I think it works, as it keeps the viewer engaged (even if its me flipping my rig, ha).

I had hours of footage to try and condense, but it was fun trying different go pro angles (mast, boom and harness mounted). My favorite is still the drone angle but it was difficult to get wind conditions to line up with a skilled pilot etc. Lastly the music is by far the most difficult! too find a decent tune is very expensive and if you go the FREE route its not very good.

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't much care how fast I go on a foil. Easy and forgiving is what I'm after.
Besides 20 plus seems plenty fast on a foil. From your video you look a bit more in control on the Naish gear. Have you tried to foil at South Padre. I'm heading down in April and was wondering if a foil will work with the sea grass.
PoorBoyUS22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet video!!! Well done and great work on the foil! Hope to see you on the water Wink
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoorBoyUS22 wrote:
Sweet video!!! Well done and great work on the foil! Hope to see you on the water Wink

Thanks Tyson, much appreciated.

My NP glide foil should be here soon..your video made it look effortless, most impressive 😃 cannot wait to try it out.

PCfoiling

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I don't much care how fast I go on a foil. Easy and forgiving is what I'm after.
Besides 20 plus seems plenty fast on a foil. From your video you look a bit more in control on the Naish gear. Have you tried to foil at South Padre. I'm heading down in April and was wondering if a foil will work with the sea grass.

The Naish Hover and Thrust foil is very easy and forgiving.

Completely different stance between the two set ups...the Naish is a narrow board at 77.5cm so the footstraps are further in and over the foil (better control at higher winds) the JP board is 86cm and with the F4 foil you are hiking out more and putting pressure on the foil to get upwind.

I have not personally foiled at S.Padre but from all accounts its shallow and so if you use a shorter mast (55cm) its more sensitive to breaching.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no issues with the NP Flight aluminum ?
no bending and front wing large enough ??
i am about 235 lbs and was told need to start with LARGE front wing
NAISH front wings look larger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: