myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Annual new board wishlist!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlooby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Annual new board wishlist! Reply with quote

Looks like it is time for another annual new board wish-list!

180 lbs great lakes (freshwater) sailor.
Int - advanced
Current quiver 95l Simmer Quantum, Tabou 3S 116, Fanatic Blast 130
Sails Ezzy's 4.0, 4.6, 5.2, 6.3 & 8.0
I have a naish foil but don't really use it much. I thought foiling would be the light wind answer but I can't say I love it - needs around 10kts+ to get going, hassle to get through shorebreak, alot of pumping etc...

I'm looking for something for low wind below my blast 130 (6-12knots).
Once its 12kts+ our lake gets very rough and I will just sail the blast normal mode.
I want to sail it with my ezzy cheetah 8.0 and plane as early as possible (hopefully around 9kts wind?)

I'm thinking early planing longboard...
Options:
Kona CarbOne
Starboard Phantom 299 (looks like a better planning board than the 377 but not as fast in displacement mode)
https://windsurf.star-board.com/products/phantom-race/

I've previously owned a phantom 377 and liked it but found it wasn't a very playful board (ie its like driving a tank at 40mph when planing).

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated!
Joe
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Annual new board wishlist! Reply with quote

Greetings Mr. Looby

I don't think this is want you want to "hear", but a longboard is not the
earliest planning board. They can be quite useful in sub-planing conditions,
and 6 Knots is definitely sub-planning for a 180 lb person.

The earliest planning board you can ride is probably a formula board, and I
dislike them almost as much as long boards, because they are hard to turn
and jibe, and they slog really poorly, but will give you the best shot at planning in a 10MPH wind (with a lot of pumping).

That Blast is probably planable near 11 MPH if you put a 9M sail on it.
I can use a continuous 10MPH to plane up and stay planed with a 9.5
Retro, a 155 Angulo Sumo, a 60 CM skeg, and a lot of pumping.
You could do similar with something wider than the Blast that is still
more of a regular style board than a formula board. The Blast at 70cm wide is pretty narrow. Find something more in the 80 cm range for width. Make
sure you have mostly carbon rig components and go for as light as you
can tolerate in all your components.

-Craig

jlooby wrote:
Looks like it is time for another annual new board wish-list!

180 lbs great lakes (freshwater) sailor.
Int - advanced
Current quiver 95l Simmer Quantum, Tabou 3S 116, Fanatic Blast 130
Sails Ezzy's 4.0, 4.6, 5.2, 6.3 & 8.0
I have a naish foil but don't really use it much. I thought foiling would be the light wind answer but I can't say I love it - needs around 10kts+ to get going, hassle to get through shorebreak, alot of pumping etc...

Once its 12kts+ our lake gets very rough and I will just sail the blast normal mode.
I want to sail it with my ezzy cheetah 8.0 and plane as early as possible (hopefully around 9kts wind?)

I'm thinking early planing longboard...
Options:
Kona CarbOne
Starboard Phantom 299 (looks like a better planning board than the 377 but not as fast in displacement mode)
https://windsurf.star-board.com/products/phantom-race/

I've previously owned a phantom 377 and liked it but found it wasn't a very playful board (ie its like driving a tank at 40mph when planing).

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated!
Joe
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longboards will plane later than the blast, which won't plane as soon as a wider board.
I'd say try the foil on a wider board unless you want to glide around on a longboard at which point get an older Equipe or something.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Looby has already owned and 'enjoyed' a full on racing longboard (Phantom 377) and already knows the issues, including the often ignored 'fact' that such racing longboards perform very well in a satisfying semi-planing mode in 10+ m.p.h. winds, instead of exhibiting that infuriating on/off switch short board characteristic of continually spurting and stopping!

I see the reasoning in thinking that the 'half way house' Phantom 299 could perhaps keep that semi-planing good characteristic, while being more shortboard like on a full plane. If it really can do so, especially in a lighter carbon constuction, regardless of whether it reaches a full plane sooner than other boards, it could be the answer some of us would appreciate.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbone is much faster/funner in mixed conditions. subplanes nearly as well as race boards. planes as good as big freerides, or formulas.

some folks that have used formulas in the past tried beam reaching only and not liked them. formulas are funnest as they were intended, sharp/deep angles to the wind.

my favorite walkabout board in the atlantic surf oriented conditions is the x-longboard 11'5." carbone might be best in great lakes?????

sail out to wind zones thru slogfests? carbone. to seek surf zones? 11'5"

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jlooby

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - good discussion on a snowy day!
I am looking to get rid of the on/off planing that a formula board and foils exhibit by going to a early planing longboard. I found with the 377 and a super grunty 9.5 raceboard sail I could plane around 9kts and the board would 'daggerboard' plane in about 7 knots. (Probably should have kept the board!)

Any guess on planing windspeed for a carbone with a 8.0 at 180lbs (my guess is about 10-11 knots).
(I know planing speed is subjective but as a reference I feel I get planing my blast 130 with an 8.0 in 12knots wind).
Joe
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think your quest is for a board that has yet to be made

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Annual new board wishlist! Reply with quote

jlooby wrote:

Maybe you need a different foil? Otherwise there is no windsurf made that goes below 6-12 knots ... I take it back: unless you go displacement. Get the new Windsurf LT https://windsurf.star-board.com/products/windsurfer-lt/ and you might be happy.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will find a 9.5 sail very playful either.

Coachg
systemslib

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would know best since you sail it, but there is a video of a blast 130 heavyweight planing in lower wind using cheetah 8.5. Last year at this time I was on same quest and the contenders were same 1)blast 130 2)carbone 3)x-longboard 11'5 4)250+liter raceboard.

I ended up with a used 377 phantom for cheaper than I could get any of the others so went with that.....but that x-longboard was something that really caught my eye as prefer to sail dagger free. The carbone looks good, surprised with the cash it costs it does not include a fin. Some complaints in past the carbone weight was higher than claimed.

Seems like your blast probably already has it covered for earliest planing? At similar weight (185) on 8.0 cheetah I need 12+-knots to get the 377 planing and assumed the blast would be a tad earlier...The raceboard can be railed or cruised long distances below 12 for a cerebral outing but I dont think it will plane any faster than that blast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: