myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Power Box Fin too Snug - Where to Sand?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Power Box Fin too Snug - Where to Sand? Reply with quote

So I have a new power box fin that sits about 3-4 mm too high in the box - the top of the fin base sits several mm above the deck of the board. I don't have access to a caliper so its hard to really tell where to sand for a better fit. I have a very good fitting fin to compare it too and visually I can't see any noticeable difference. I sanded a few mm off the bottom edge of the fin base thinking the depth was slightly too large but really no change in fit after that. Anyone have some simple method or guidelines on how I can determine where to sand the base other than educated guessing and trial and error?

Rob
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fin base was too deep, then the fin would have wiggled from side to side, since a power box is tapered and you would have hit bottom before the sides are flush. You have to sand. If you can't tell if its fore/aft or the sides, I'd try fore/aft first if it looks tight in that dimension, as there is no harm if oversanded in that dimension. If nothing changes with a little bit of sanding, then its the sides. I've had to do this before, not difficult, just takes some time. Just gradually work on it until it sinks to the right level. (you didn't mean deck of board, did you? that is the side you stand on).
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - sorry, I meant the bottom side of the board not the deck. When I set the fin in the box, there is still about 1mm of space between the top edge of the fin box and the perimeter of the fin base top so it appears the lower third of the fin base is the issue. My plan is to start there with the sanding.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try to rub a pencil to leave something on the inside of the box so you can see where it's rubbing. Use a heavy grit sandpaper to make the work go fast.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Westender, flip board upside down, WET the PB, stuff it into box, pull out and LOOK at the finhead...and sand with 36-60 grit.
lturkevich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had to adjust a new fin for my powerbox: flip the board upside down, and check whether you have two tabs protruding from the bottom of the box and keeping you from getting the fin fully seated; if so, you can file down on the fin base two notches that match the protruding tabs so you can get the fin fully seated.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i do not have a caliper either ...
when i compare fins i use a compass (the one that makes circles)
thus i can measure fin that slide in versus the protruder ...
then comes the part that requires patience - gently sanding
until it all fits ...
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to recommend the same as a few posts up - rub the fin base with a pencil or grease pencil. Install the fin in the box and wherever the pencil rubs off the base is where it’s contacting. Also, make sure you put the fin in the box and actually install and torque the screw before starting to sand. I recently purchased a new fin (also powerbox) and it was sitting pretty high when I just dropped it in the box. After tightening the screw, it pulled down nearly flush.

Definitely only remove a little at a time and check the fit often.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rub a dry soap bar on the fin head. Stick the fin in the board and remove it. High spots on the fin will be black. Sand the black marks down until they disappear. Repeat until the fin fits right.

If I mis-remember the color (I think it was black), SEARCH for the last time this was discussed here last year. That's where I got that invaluable tip, which worked like a charm.

Here's another power box tip: if you ever remove your fin, make its screw captive and just leave it in the board all the time. Put the screw in the board and twist a cm-or-so-long piece of 7/32th (inside diameter) rubber windshield wiper or vacuum tubing down over the bolt all the way. Any auto parts store carries it in packages for about the price of a SS bolt.

manuel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fin base is too thick? Then put a tiny bit of flour or powered sugar around, you'll see exactly where it rubs. Just make sure it's dry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: