myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who sails in the cold?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Who sails in the cold? Reply with quote

Haven't been out in the water during the winter yet. Planning to.

Last I looked the water temp was reported to be 44F. Air temps depending on the day could be in the 30's, 40's, or 50's.

Wondering what air/water temps you all go out in and what type of gear do you use? Are you out there for 6-8 hours at a time? Or 20 minutes?

Do I need 5 or 7 mm booties? I've got some open palm mits and a neoprene hood and beanie.

Are there any temps or conditions you don't go out in? Are their minimums that are your limit?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water in the 40s and air in the 20s is no problem with the right gear. Drysuit is most comfortable on flat water, if your core is warm 5mm booties work fine. Dishwashing gloves under your open palm mitts works very well without fatiguing hands.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun or cloud? Water temps in the 40s is cold but ok. 30's hurt eye balls and isn't so enjoyable, hurt the ball balls too. Basically same feel as ice.

Air temp in the 50s is comfortable. 40s start to get challenging, 30s not so enjoyable.

If going with a wetsuit make sure to limit all/most water entry. I used a kayak jacket, it worked really well.

Booties, used Atan's, they are not the warmest but the key is keep core temp warm. Hoodie is a must, helmet over keeps even warmer.

I don't remember any time limit except with water temps in the 30s. Really had to be careful not too fall in!

Regardless it can be enjoyable and sometimes if we want to ride, we need to find a way!

Do report with your own findings.

I remember using a shortie below my 4/3, a rash guard too. Anything to make air space the most limited so long as there is still some flexibility left of course Very Happy !

mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out three times in the last four days (OBX), so getting used to colder conditions again. Coldest day of the three was air temps high 40s, water probably mid 40s. I use a semi dry suit with a vest/ hood on top to stop that icy rush down the back. 4mm boots. Haven't used gloves yet, but anything colder and I will grudgingly use mitts. For me, it's key not to get too cold when rigging. Once air temps are 40 and below, I take a cooler filled with hot water and come in every 20 minutes or so to warm up my hands/ feet. That helps a lot. The problem with below freezing temps is icing on the sail............you can't see where you are going! Also, you have to be very sure that you can get back quickly if anything breaks.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Cold water sailing Reply with quote

Air no colder than below freezing cause sail ices up and lines I,m in fresh water.water down to 33 air. Wear 6-5-4 hooded suit with 6 mm booties and 3mm mitts.can go 2-3 hours if wind cooperates.been doing it for 35 years.big factor is how hard the wind is blowing big difference when it's 4.0@35 deg air than 5.0 5.3 wind depends on how long you sail water state how aggressive you sail how much time you are in water.be safe give yourself some downwind safety net I case wind dies gear fails you get tired etc.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEARCH on the topic for hundreds of informative posts on it. It all depends on how much $#!+ you wanna wear.
rexi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail cold weather, usually try to stay above freezing but sometimes i go below.

I use a 5.5 or 6mm suit, boots 5-6mm round toe, split toe just doesn´t work in the cold and dakine cold weather mittens.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrunMltBVHG/ this was a cold but good day.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've sailes in air temp 28F according to the themometer in my car...water temp >32 (salt water). i did that once..but water started icing up on the deck...and some spots on the water was like sailing through a '7-11'- slurpee. But now my limit is mid 30's air temp.....water temp is irrelvant...as long as it is not freezing up. Baggy drysuit OCean Rodeo soul...wetsuit booties 6mm, and dakine mitts. warm with the right layering underneath. sometimes too warm.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had I only had my shit together today, I woulda sailed for sure! Sunny 20-30 mph, 56 F....but 36 F water temp. The NP 3-finger 5mm gloves have made all the difference for me, plus the new wetsuit technologies are fantastic. I can sail for hours now, even when the water is close to freezing. 30 years ago, I was lucky to last 45 min. Just HUGE improvements in gear for cold weather.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sails in the cold - ya mean on water or ice ?? Smile

actually, i would like to add to that ...

in the last two days I feel like I learned to understand what the foilers mean with the almost soundless ride
was on the kit pictured
yes, it is a 2007 SailWorks Retro 8 square meter sail on ice (with a NP CC mast)
but the wind was only 10 kph (that's about 6 mph)
the sound or lack thereof was so pleasant
while moving at a decent speed
smoker uncle was outside and asked how could i go so fast
there was no wind
fun, fun at sixty-one

btw this wind minimum of 10 kph is also used by the DN ice boaters

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:32 am; edited 6 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: