myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roller vs Hook
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Roller vs Hook Reply with quote

Anyone use a roller instead of a hook?

https://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=136&idcategory=55

Seems one gets no harness line wear with the roller. Do you wear out harness lines with the hook or notice more sliding resistance?
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My full thoughts under gear section: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/

The only time I broke a line before the adjusting strap was because sand had made its way in. The plastic wasn't stitched correctly and I never bothered to tape it.

The pin can unhook more easily (ie riding over chop).

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hooks for me, for many functional reasons posted MANY times in MANY threads.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Roller vs Hook Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Anyone use a roller instead of a hook?

https://northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=136&idcategory=55

Seems one gets no harness line wear with the roller. Do you wear out harness lines with the hook or notice more sliding resistance?

Hook is much better for me (an 99% of the sailors I see). With the roller sooner or later the rope will slip off at the least opportune moment Shocked
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My harness lines don't wear out like they used to back in the day (store bought type). Either the web attachment to the booms wears out, or the rope inside the plastic tube rots and breaks. No longer a wear issue involving the hook, which I prefer.
With the roller you have a little more than 1/8" of return keeping the harness line from slipping out. With a hook you have between 1/2" to 3/4" of return (depending on the maker) preventing the line from slipping out. I've got a roller that I never use, I just looked at it, to make sure.
Also those Reactor metal plates they use for their rollers bars wear out the harness webbing (where the webbing goes thru the slots) much faster than the round stock used with the hooks.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used both but prefer the roller. (Much) easier fine tuning the rig trim since there is less resistance and therefore also less (as in zero) wear on the harness lines as compared to a hook. The aluminum reactor bars will eventually wear out. Sand under the roller combined with salt corrosion will cause the bar to fatigue and break where the roller mounts after many years. I switched to the DaKine stainless roller bar and it seems to be bomb proof. Never had any issues with the lines disengaging from the roller.

sm
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely easier on lines. Easy in and easy out is good or bad depending on your preference. Requires you to precisely place lines...a good thing. Mine have lasted very long.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line can't drop out unless we give it slack by using our arms to sail, which wastes energy and endurance. Rider error, and a bad habit!

I get more than a decade out of a roller bar, and decades and counting out of lines, but for me that's a bonus, not a reason, for using rollers. The reason is vastly improved performance.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The line can't drop out unless we give it slack by using our arms to sail, which wastes energy and endurance. Rider error, and a bad habit!

I get more than a decade out of a roller bar, and decades and counting out of lines, but for me that's a bonus, not a reason, for using rollers. The reason is vastly improved performance.

I know it gets choppy with swells in the Gorge, but it's quite different out on the ocean on very windy days, confused chop very close together, so we get jostled around quite a bit. Involuntary unhooking can become fairly common, which has little to do with "rider error, and a bad habit", which is why I almost never see anyone where I sail with a roller spreader bar. But when I do, it's almost always on somebody from out of the area.
So one must consider where they sail, and under what conditions, to make a good choice.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be very easy to turn a roller with more lip to engage the line. However I like having the lines drop free easily, it's not like hooking back in is a problem but NOT unhooking can be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: