myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy Legacy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgerke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Ezzy Legacy Reply with quote

Has anyone on this forum used the Ezzy Legacy? I'm a beginner that is working on getting in the straps and jibing. If I buy a quiver of the 2015 Legacy's I can get them at a price that is not much more than many of the 3-4 year old used sails. If anyone has experience with them what do you think?
rhorton1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Legacy 6.5, Panther 5.8 and 5.3, and Wave SE 4.7 and 4.0. Also Zephyr 7.5 and Lion 9.5... but those are very different sails and probably aren't relevant to your question. I can tell you that the 6.5 Legacy is a good sail. A bit longer in the boom and shorter in the luff than the 6.9 Panther, which I also considered. I chose the 6.5 Legacy over a large Panther because for the days that I wanted to wind-sup, a longer boom should hopefully help with low-end power. It feels like you're sailing an Ezzy.

From what I've heard, the small size Legacys (up to 5.8 ) are the same design as the Panther, which is essentially a Wave SE. The 6.5 and 7.5 are designs all their own, without the double-batten below the boom (like on the Cheetah and Lion and Zephyr).

There are a few less bells and whistles, but as a beginner, you wouldn't notice. Just note that if you want the mast tack pad and roller downhaul, you need to add about $50 to the cost of each of the Legacys. I also noticed that the batten sleeves are made out of different materials than my other Ezzys. Less cloth covering the x-ply along the battens.

What sizes are you looking for? Windance has some great Ezzy sails in their used section.
jgerke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rhorton. I was looking at the Legacy 5.8, 6.5 and 7.5. I will look closer at Windance's used sails. When I looked a couple days ago they had a used 6.3 Panther that might work good for me.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure your feelings on cams..... But my Ezzy Lion is incredibly easy to rig. The hassles of a cam sail are not what they once were. You might want to look at the 6.0 and 7.5 Lions on Windance's consignment page. They would likely have better performance than the Legacy in the low-end of the spectrum (maybe even both ends of the spectrum).

If you don't have some great aversion to cam sails like some people do, I would recommend contacting Ezzy directly and asking their opinion on the Legacy vs Cheetah vs Lion vs Panther/Tiger. They are incredibly helpful and don't care if you're buying new or used. You can get some good info from them. Also... I'm not sure if the Lion has this option, but their old cam sail, the Infinity, had removable cams, so you could sail it 2-, 1-, or no-cam option. The Lion may have that option as well.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on Ezzy sails since he started his own line. You can not get a better sail. As a beginner I would steer you away from cam sails like the Lion. You will not get any benefit from the cams until you get farther along in your windsurfing. The Cheetah Tiger or Legacy are what your looking for. I have several of each. The Legacy is a super lite easy to use sail without a bunch of extras that really don't make a difference in how it will sail. If your not a down the line wave sailor that is the one I would recommend. It does everything you will need a sail to do. My wife loves hers. Its a bit liter built than the Tiger but basically the same sail. At about 6.5 or bigger you might consider the Cheetah. It is by far the best sail out there for blasting back and forth.. I have 34 years in the sport and would be more than willing to give you my input on Ezzy sails and masts. Call me at 805 219 0435....Tony
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy sails are very durable and last a long time. That said, the Panther, is an older design sail. Depending on if its a one, two or three it could be five years old or older. Gorge launch sites can be pretty ruff and sails take a lot of abuse there. Be sure that if you go that way the sail has been well cared for. Look hard at the legacy. New or a good used one... Just my opinion...
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Legacy is a lower cost version of a high quality sail lineup.
The materials are different, significant than a Cheetah or Tiger.
IMO is no the same as older Ezzy sails.

Something has it make it less expensive, and it's not just the pulley, bottom mast and whatever else has been left off, compared to a Tiger or Cheetah.
I don't mention the Taka or Elite as they are wave sails, which doesn't sound like your intent.

Their are many things that go into a sail, the materials, lightness VS strength being just one, panel layout, and bells and whistles.

2 YO EZZYS tend to hold there value, dependent on condition.
Search for used Legacys and see how they compare.

Maybe I sound a equipment snob, maybe the Legacy will do great for you.

Panther Ltd, Elites, Taka, Cheetahs . And many many in the past including the FIRST YEAR WAVE SE, THAT AMAZING IS STILL BRILLIANT, AND A KEEPER.

I would prefer a new Legacy to many others

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legacy has a d-ring instead of a stainless pulley.
The Legacy has a very lite weight sail bag.
The Legacy doesn't have a built in mast pad.
The Legacy doesn't have an extra head strap.
The legacy doesn't have Color in fused panels.
The legacy doesn't have the batten tension key.
The legacy doesn't have the adjustable downhaul guide.
The Legacy Doesn't have Technora in low stress areas.
None of these things matter on the water.
I have both the Tiger and the Legacy. I have an over lap of each at the 5.8 size. Mine and the wife's . I have sailed both and can tell you is very little difference in how they sail. If anything the Legacy feels liter in the turns.
The only thing is the batten pockets are not covered with Dacron. I put the sails on top of each other and they line up pretty much the same. If you can live with out the bells and your not a wave guy you can save 200 bucks with the legacy....
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot get a better sail, said above somewhere, is a opinion, since no one I know has even tried all the sails, this remark is meaningless.

Ezzy sails are very well made offer a great return value, they offer a nice line of sails, absent is a freestyle and race sail, but Kevin Prichard won the Lord of the Winds on a production Ezzy.
The Legacy has x ply in the upper and lower sections thicker on top, , monofilm is Not used.

The remainder of the missing / left off pieces seems correct, with 1 exception, the Legacy battens are not RBS EPOXY, BUT VINYLESTER.

THE RBS Battens are and work really nicely, but to put things into perspective a really high class sail will have Carbon battens, aside from a option on custom sails, they are only available on a few, Northwave and Severne come to mind.

Aside from the materials, I would miss the down haul pully.

Does the Legacy still come with the color coded key ring?? Like the sail..

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot get a better sail, said above somewhere, is a opinion, since no one I know has even tried all the sails, this remark is meaningless.

Ezzy sails are very well made offer a great return value, they offer a nice line of sails, absent is a freestyle and race sail, but Kevin Prichard won the Lord of the Winds on a production Ezzy.
The Legacy has x ply in the upper and lower sections thicker on top, , monofilm is Not used.

The remainder of the missing / left off pieces seems correct, with 1 exception, the Legacy battens are not RBS EPOXY, BUT VINYLESTER.

THE RBS Battens are and work really nicely, but to put things into perspective a really high class sail will have Carbon battens, aside from a option on custom sails, they are only available on a few, Northwave and Severne come to mind.

Aside from the materials, I would miss the down haul pully.

Does the Legacy still come with the color coded key ring?? Like the sail..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: