myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Solo Third Person Filming While on the Water
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can learn many things about your sailing if "You" wear a helmet cam and it won't involve another sailor. You will see your speed at jibe entry, the point of sail flip, how much time you wasted through your turn and where and how you flipped the sail, what your vision perspective is through the turn, your speed after sail flip, etc. It helped me learn things about my sailing . Make sure the camera is pointed on the low side. Looking at the sky won't show you what you need to see.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Soloshot 3. The kiteboarder's evaluation video is very accurate. Instead of the Optic 65 I bought the Optic 25 last summer when they were running a closeout special for some of the reasons stated in the video.
Stabilization in wind: I have a hook under my tripod for adding weight but even with that the tripod is not going to be perfectly stable in wind so I did not plan on using shots over 100 meters. No need for the Optic 65.
Cost: With the special the Optic 25 was almost ½ the cost of the Optic 65.
Shooting locations: I would only be using this on my own at my local lake that requires a membership & key to access so obviously very safe. At other locations my wife would oversee it. She was very happy with the purchase because she has a hard time tracking.
Use: I can use it with other things, not just windsurfing.
For the reasons above I bought the Optic 25 & have been very happy with it. When I arrive I start it & by the time I rig up it is already tracking so setup is easy. From the tag I can turn it on & off so I only film close up shots. The quality is fine for Youtube & Vimeo & I can adjust the saturation in post production.
They do offer a lock accessory but unless you have a tree or immovable object to attach the lock to I don't see it being much use.

As stated earlier by others, I find the mast mount Gopro to be adequate for learning.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine learning to ws in 1984, no cell phones, few video recorders, hardly any moves on film...and learning duckjibes-tacks, jumpjibes and willyskips, frontside wave riding, heli and monkey transitions.
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
A 1500mm equivalent lens requires some serious stability to shoot. Toss it on a tripod in some wind and it'll be all over the place. Just kind of a fact of life.
I'd only expect good footage within 300m at most, not the quoted distance of 2000m.

The quoted distance is 2000 FEET, not meters. 2000 meters would be truly spectacular. At the quoted 2000 feet I would expect a more stable image. Especially if the tide is out and you must place the tripod outside the tidal zone.

The Soloshot 3 Optic65 has the better optical zoom and is intended for filming at a distance up to 2000 feet yet it apparently has no image stabilization. Kind of defeats the purpose.
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I have the Soloshot 3...

Thanks for that coachg! I appreciate the feedback from a Soloshot owner.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:
A 1500mm equivalent lens requires some serious stability to shoot. Toss it on a tripod in some wind and it'll be all over the place. Just kind of a fact of life.
I'd only expect good footage within 300m at most, not the quoted distance of 2000m.

The quoted distance is 2000 FEET, not meters. 2000 meters would be truly spectacular. At the quoted 2000 feet I would expect a more stable image. Especially if the tide is out and you must place the tripod outside the tidal zone.

The Soloshot 3 Optic65 has the better optical zoom and is intended for filming at a distance up to 2000 feet yet it apparently has no image stabilization. Kind of defeats the purpose.

600m is still a LONG way out. My wife films with a 450mm that has image stability on a tripod and it's only useful within 100m at most.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamero - Your original post says that your primary objective is skill improvement. You don't need high quality for that.
But yes, video is helpful... and another perspective besides POV can also helpful... check your stance, are your knees "really" bent, sail flip, foot-work, turn shape, etc. You don't need sharp, clear video.. color correction... etc. for self improvement. Something basic is better than nothing. Unless your goal is really to display vids on youtube and iWindsurf… than there's no limit to spending $ and time for amazing masterpieces Smile
But for your own use... or even to get free tips from forums... basic vid will be enough to learn a few things.

kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe mount a camera on a gimbal on some sort of anchored/floating buoy? Then you could sail up to it and do your thing.

I've helmet mounted a go pro and discussed sharing shooting duties with say four other sailors. Figure if each person sits on their board and films for 10 minutes, then you end up with 30 minutes of footage that you're in and 10 that you're filming. Helmet/hat cams make it easy to pass along.

Backymounts also give a pretty cool perspective. I think Backymount proper is no longer selling these things, but K4 Fins makes something. I prefer the angle on the Backymount, but not sure you can find one of these things anymore.

Depending on where you sail, you can also put a cam on a pole and stick it in water/mud/sand.

Backymount Video from Crissy Field

Stick in the Mud Video starts at about 1:10... watch until the end if you dare

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, there are plenty of GoPro (or other) camera mount points that work depending on what you want to see

GoPro copies cost around $100 and can thus even put multiple cameras during same ride - for less money than gimbal and/or high quality cameras

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.com/2012/12/gopro-hero.html
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$33 delivered. All the pictures and video's I've posted here or other places were from one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Camera-30Fps-Sports-Cam/dp/B076DVXKW5/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_421_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RRZJBFMN3768CJFSWS92

Here's one for $26

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072P1X7V2/ref=psdc_7161074011_t1_B076DVXKW5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: