myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Big sail users post here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 150-170 lb person, I never needed to go above 9.2 on my Formula board. 8.7 was probably all I needed (8-13 knots).

When I was out on such sails, larger co-sailors were on 10.6+. It let them cruise in similar winds and they loved it.

It worked well for the summer breeze, spring offered more variation and 7's at the most was needed.

So it'll depend on your venues, your schedule and such. I used to get up really early to sail morning thermals.

To me, bigger sails are closer to boat sailing. So good for long distance locked-in, travelling type of sailing. I crossed a 5-mile wide lake with my Formula it was lots of fun landing on the other side of the lake!

inf2003

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So before I sold the lake house, I was looking for maximum planing time with my shark 160 board, I had an ezzy 7.5 cambered sail as my largest. I purchased the sail mast and carbon boom described below and it gave me a lot more time on the water. Much more power than the ezzy. I weigh about 195 lbs so this was probably due to the fact I am a heavy weight. It just sits now so I am willing to let it all go very cheap to someone who can use the setup. Shipping is probably the problem . see the email below that I put on another thread. This sail has tons of low end power and everything else is 100% carbon fiber. At least this deal eliminates high cost.

I have a 10.6 with a full carbon boom and 100% matching carbon mast (520 I think) that I purchased in 2007 The sail is a 2007 and has the specified 100% carbon mas with a full carbon hawaiian proline carbon boom. My wife passed and we had to sell the lake house so I only used them once. they are all in perfect condition. If you were interested I would let them all 3 pieces go for $300 but you would have to pay shipping. It was a very powerful sail.

the sail is a 2007 neilpryde v8 10.6m

the mast is the matching neilpryde matrix x6 required by manufacturer and the carbon boom is a hawaiian proline. They are located in the boston or southern nh area . . All pieces have little to no use.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
To me, bigger sails are closer to boat sailing. So good for long distance locked-in, travelling type of sailing. I crossed a 5-mile wide lake with my Formula it was lots of fun landing on the other side of the lake!

Great analogy & pretty much what I had been using my formula gear for. But before you write off big sails I see guys now using 8/9/10 meters with their foils. Go figure.

Coachg
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add a 9.5 sail to my quiver. Am correct to assume most large sails call for SD masts? What's the lightest 9.5 or so constant curve sail out there?
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz: Upper midwest sailors attending MOWIND events generally use raceboards and large sails for light summer winds on our inland lakes. Aerotech & Severne sails as well others in 9.5 sizes get a lot of use. (And are still used by many above 15 mph because our gusty winds often change.) Those who can't afford the late model raceboards from Starboard or Aerotech or F2 still use older ones like a Mistral Equipe. A few of us (like me) sail in a Kona One Design class. The Kona sails don't have cambers, have a wide wind range. Large Kona sail sizes are 7.8, 8.2, 9.0 & 9.8.

My guess is your Oklahoma venues are quite a bit like ours. I think the best solution for you is a longboard with a longboard sail. That is the best combination for going anywhere you want to go in any conditions (planing when you can, gliding when you can't).

My sails range from 12.0 to 3.4, though I haven't used my biggest ones (12.0, 11.0, 10.9 & 10.0) for at least 2 years. I usually use a 9.0 about 3-5 times a year, would use it more often if I wasn't trying to add training hours on my Kona 8.2 which is the weight range I fit in for the Kona class. From about 2006 to about 2013 I raced most often with an early 90's Gaastra 10.0 and a 91 Mistral Equipe.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - I like Del's answer.

The OP didn't say if his goal is to plane most all the time... or to just get on the water and sail around.

If the goal is planing most all the time... then I agree with most the great answers already given.

But if the goal is just to get out on the lake, cool off from summer heat, get some fresh air and exercise... then a good longboard and a BIG sail can be great fun (unless you "need" adrenaline for fun)!!
I'm 200 lbs and mostly sail in Seattle where it's light wind... almost never enough wind to plane. Some will say to rig a small sail and practice sail and board handling tricks-skills... which is fine, and I do that some.
But most the time I just want to lean back in the harness, be lazy, and cruise. So my old, light weight, 90's 11m sail is my most used sail.
(That sail mentioned earlier in this thread, for sale, would be a very nice, modern upgrade... but it's in Boston.)
I also have a Sailworks 3 cam 10.4m sail from about 2002, that's all monofilm and quite light weight. This is also great for what we're talking about.

The newer (than '03) heavier, FW racing sails... are great for FW racing. But they're not great for very light wind, cruising around. Cause they are too heavy, and they don't make any (enough) power in very light wind (with the floppy head and loose leech).
When you're on a longboard in 1-10 mph wind, you want a light weight, soft, full bodied sail. You WANT enough power so you can lean back in the harness and cruise... no pumping and no planing…. just fun cruising, exploring, no muscle required, just hang down in the harness and let the power do all the work, etc.
BTW - You can pump these sails to go faster... I do it all the time in longboard racing. Nobody gets planing… the goal is just to go faster than the guys next to you!

Last edited by gregnw44 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darbonne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kona 9.0 and the Kona One is a great combo for cruising around on my lake where the prevailing wind in summer is 5-10 knts. I had a Retro 10.0 and a Retro 9.0, but I sold them both because the Kona 9.0 is lighter and makes power better in light wind. The Kona sail uses very little downhaul and rigs differently than the floppy leech freeride sails. I also have a Cheetah 8.0 that I love. It has a wide wind range and feels very light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: