myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ideal conditions to learn water start?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I need relatively more power to waterstart a longboard because of the tall sides and inability to pull it under me.
At 180 lbs a 120-140L board would be ideal.

That said I learned on a +30kt day with a borrowed 4.7 and raceboard. It was waterstart, tailwalk, massive catapult, repeat.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that a large board can make it harder to step on as the tail won't sink much if at all so the step is higher.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

I learnt on an early Hi-fly 555 with non retractable centre board by having both feet planted on the board (to scissor it and hold it steady) while learning how to hold and control the angle of the rig. THAT was the hard part for me, and without both feet evenly weighted on the board I would have been yanked off balance having once lifted onto board and hurled off, before being able to react to the pull of the rig and need to steer.

We call that "Butt Sailing" & it is an excellent method for teaching students how to steer while in the water.

Coachg
lturkevich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

I learnt on an early Hi-fly 555 with non retractable centre board by having both feet planted on the board (to scissor it and hold it steady) while learning how to hold and control the angle of the rig. THAT was the hard part for me, and without both feet evenly weighted on the board I would have been yanked off balance having once lifted onto board and hurled off, before being able to react to the pull of the rig and need to steer.

We call that "Butt Sailing" & it is an excellent method for teaching students how to steer while in the water.

Coachg

Butt sailing is what did it for me. Once you've got butt sailing under control, do clew-first butt sailing.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butt-sailing is an extremely useful tool for many purposes. I often butt-sail for hundreds of yards because it feels infinitely less tiring than trying to slog a sinker across an extremely turbulent shoreline wind shadow to a very windy outside. Butt-sailing (hooked in) requires 99% less effort than trying to tow someone while standing up. It's a great way to get one's own butt ashore when injured too badly to stand up (e.g., my knee explosion a few years ago.) It often beats the hell out of slogging when the wind all but quits when you're on little bitty gear. And lastly (?), butt sailing is ONE way to relax while waiting for a gust to waterstart. If that gust takes too long to arrive, you can just lie in the water, relaxing, maybe even lying on your back with your feet on the board, until experience tells you there's enough wind to waterstart. At that point you throw the sail up into the air and follow it into an upright position all in one continuous movement, using the rig's momentum to boost the process.

Even then, just because there's enough breeze to waterstart doesn't always mean there's any REASON to waterstart, unless still practicing the skill. I usually wait until there's enough wind to plane, because if there's not, and I don't need to be somewhere else soon, I have no reason to stand up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: