myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need Kite Lessons/Instructor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tstizzle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Need Kite Lessons/Instructor Reply with quote

first off, don't get mad at me. i have NO PLANS to stop windsurfing.

that said, i need to fill in the gaps on some lighter wind days, and kiting seems a good fit. i did some preliminary looking at instruction and found it laughably expensive. i mean, they're asking more than i charge per hour and i've been a software engineer for 20 years. no one belies another's right to make a living but, come on.

so i'm wondering if anyone knows of individuals who teach (as opposed to schools), and may charge a more reasonable rate.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.

You want to take up a life threatening sport and are concerned the cost of professional instruction is too high?

Perhaps you should:
1. Reconsider what it is you are paying for, or
2. Take that money and purchase a foil rig (which will get you out in less wind also), or
3. Learn how to surf or SUP, or
4. Learn how to wave sail - specifically float and ride, where we routinely get out in less wind than the kites can handle, but still manage to catch and ride waves.
tstizzle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt,

thanks for your input.

now, back to the point...
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kite lessons are kind of involved usually jet ski, time on land and time on water, it is probably worth just biting the bullet. And it is unlikely that you will find anyone that will teach you for cash money on the side due to liability of you taking yourself or someone else out.

A friend of yours that kites might teach you be I have a feeling even this is frowned upon.

It is a fun sport but most people will end up windsurfing much less than they think they will.

1+ for foil too
tstizzle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just can't stomach the thought, though, of spending $2k for lessons. that's insane. even in the gorge it's only slightly more than half the price of the bay area. and there are places where all-in costs are $500-$600. so i can't imagine there isn't a ton of wiggle room in these price structures. hence the question.

additionally (and anecdotally), i have seen numerous certified instructors not working for teaching orgs. these people could be a good choice, if vetted. hence, i'm looking for one.

re: foil. i'm planning on living on a sailboat so space is a commodity. foiling doesn't seem a good fit for that lifestyle. moreover, i prefer high wind sailing (27+), so foiling has always looked a bit like watching golf to me.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah no one would spend $2k to learn to kite. I thought it was in the $300-400 range.

https://boardsportscalifornia.com/kiteboarding/lessons-2/beginner-2/

Kiting does have a great storage benefit over windsurfing.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a trip to South Padre Island in April. Learn to kite in warm shallow water with no wet suit needed. Where I stay I seen new people learn in 3 lessons. The instructor takes you off shore in the bay away from any hazards. He follows your around in a boat with a head set and talks to you while you learn. Being able to stand up and the warm water makes it much easier to get the basics. Not sure what the cost but haven't heard anyone complain.
After you get the basics they will take in the boat a little way off shore so you don't have and obstetrical s launching from the beach. One lauching injury could cost a lot more than the price of the lessons...
tstizzle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a bad idea, novaan. any idea who is good there and their price?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurf Inc. is right next door from where I stay. He has a grass rigging behind his shop. he is the one i see with the boats. There is a kite shop on the island that uses the flats a few miles up that has lots of kiters. I don't know if they use a boat or ski for lessons. The bay is huge shallow and warm. April is the windy season. Hotels and condo are cheap. Good fishing and some golf on the main land. I stay for the month. Last year was the windiest trip ever. I windsurfed on a 5.5 once and the rest of the trip was 4.7 or smaller. Got 23 days out of 30 on the water. Could have sailed more but need a rest. The worst year was 60% on the water mostly 5.5 sails. Guys with big gear got more days. Its seems to be 2/3 days on with 1/2 days off but you just never know. That weaker year was an El Nino year
jse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a kite instructor could land a 6 month contract teaching you to kite, they would probably be able to charge less than you charge per hour. Instead, they need to setup a day for you and maybe a couple others, drive to the beach for a short lesson, perhaps involving a boat, deal with gear issues, rigging, safety checking etc... On top of that they have most likely a liability to consider for safety issues. You can't compare kite instruction with software development. I know, I've been a software consultant for 40 years.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: