myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why is dirt windsurfing not more popular?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inf2003, I am curious, and I think all potential buyers want to know, what is the deck width and the deck length of the boards you are selling?

Those trucks look super turny.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
So the one common thing that I'm taking out of this thread seems to be related to injury. ...SNIP ...

First #1. Spoken like someone who has never broken or (worse) severely sprained an ankle (and thus impaired their proprioception and thus balance forever). Lucky you. (A dentist in our landsailing group broke his wrist ... twice.)

First #4. Those shocks on the RollerSurfer are steering dampers, not ride dampers.

First #5. Define "ground imperfections". Do curbs, automobiles, trees, ditches, picnic tables, etc count?

Second #1. I do that in the water if necessary, or simply by choice when slogging.

Second #3. Who the hell wants to do anything at a comfortable speed? Smile
No, SERIOUSLY: Who the hell wants to do anything at a comfortable speed?

HELL, yes, wear a helmet. Shaper Craig Stroetzel died after hitting a pebble while Ken Winner walked alongside him on a parking lot.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't remember about a pebble actually causing a parking lot sailing death. Early on with my first parking lot board, I did worry that a pebble could do that. While going slow, such as in a turn or with a dying wind, I was stopped more than once by small pebbles. That is why I switched to mountainboards with much larger diameter tires that could roll over pebbles big enough to stop skateboard wheels. I think wearing a helmet, elbow pads, knee pads, & bulky clothing started with the first time I tried any form of landsailing.

Seriously, Isobars, I don't often do anything at an uncomfortable speed. Some people can be called seekers of excitement. I like some excitement, but I'm more a seeker of joy. Maybe for you seeking joy in movement is not different from seeking excitement in movement. Going "scary fast" appears to be something you fervently seek. I get to the "scared" part of "scary fast" before you do, probably before most windsurfers do, and then I back off. I think my reaction to "scary fast" is part of why I enjoy the tactics in organized racing.
inf2003

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inf2003, I am curious, and I think all potential buyers want to know, what is the deck width and the deck length of the boards you are selling?

Those trucks look super turny.

The boards are 42" long and the deck is 11" wide. I agree there is a type of joy or fun I get from them just by turning quickly and practicing sail flipping. Sometimes if the wind is really light I just push with the other foot to practice with the sail. I can use it in my 30' x 40' driveway due to tight turning

I also had a lot of fun on them just going to a mildly sloping driveway or hill and carving back and forth 90 degrees each way to the hill. They turn in such a small radius you can literally just go back and forth at just a few miles per hour and they teach you real balance. The board really angles so it is great practice balancing. The carving part is really fun. My last homes driveway was 12 feet wide with a 12 percent slope and I could carve back and forth going 90 degrees to the driveway

I'm 53 years old so I have no desire to pick up any speed at all. I wear pads and helmet. I know there is risk in anything you do but the amount of risk never seemed dissimilar to the risk of riding a bike to me.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raced open class desert bikes for decades at speeds approaching 10 (correction: 100) mph.
But ride a bicycle around cars driven by idiots on cell phones? No way.

Last edited by isobars on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. 10 mph does not seem all that scary fast....
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Add a zero. And realize that this is in unmarked open desert terrain all over southern and central Utah.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inf2003, the 11" deck width helps quite a bit in switching feet while doing jibs sailing in parking lots.

Regarding some posts, I find myself in an odd position, enjoying something (sailing on asphalt or pavement) that some windsurfers regard as too risky.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe more windsurfers should give it a try? I understand that skating over asphalt is dangerous, long board skating is more stable, then larger wheels make it safer, and finally, mountain boarding over dirt is another step above in terms of safety.

I had no problem cruising along doing figure 8's over asphalt though. Never needed knee or elbow pads. Only helmet and possibly gloves. Again the step down is so low and speeds are very reasonable.

Now I understand there's no plane but the feeling of rolling along felt nice to me. That coupled with changes of the terrain (bumps, curves, hills, dirt, grass, etc.) made it quite entertaining to play with.

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
I don't often do anything at an uncomfortable speed. Some people can be called seekers of excitement. I like some excitement, but I'm more a seeker of joy.

My joy -- my altered state of consciousness -- comes from excitement, which in turn comes from pushing my limits, tempered by self-preservation. Whether it's second gear @30 mph in extremely complicated terrain or 5th gear/95 mph in 200-foot sand dunes, I love being at my own self-perceived safety limits. I wanna be in a place where one mistake, one lapse of focus, could easily lead to complete loss of control. Maybe that's why, as best as I can estimate, I crashed my motorcycles somewhere between 5 and 10 -- thousand --times in the 20 years I rode them almost every day. Many WSers focus their freestyle desires on tricks; mine are focused on freeform*. My most memorable days on the water, the dirt, and the snow (snowmobiles) have always been those when I pushed my limits to the edge and got away with it all day ... i.e., enough crashes to be sure I was on the edge, but none that made me wish I hadn't done that.

* Some examples:
• Flying snowmobiles off cornices.
• Finding and expanding my control limits in maneuvering sinkers at full throttle and full speed in rough water.
• Ripping across wild, unmarked southern Utah desert with nothing on my mind but surviving the next few seconds, such as spontaneously using a dune to fly over a fence or slot canyon HOPING I can find a way back across said obstacle.

In WSing freestyle, the primary goal is repeatability/consistency. My freestyle goal is finding and defeating NEW challenges every few seconds. Different strokes for different folks. Concrete, physics, traffic, injury consequences, laws, and risks to my ankles all restrain my approach. There was no way I could or would cut loose on a landsailor. With lots of armor, satisfaction with practicing fundamentals at low speeds, and stainless steel ankles, I don't see why landsailing can't be reasonably safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: