myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foot strap hardware options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Foot strap hardware options Reply with quote

I'm only familiar with this type of hold down washer. JP has a double bolt system but where can one purchase that hardware at? What other options are out there?

TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Try Chinook anti twist . Wind North Carolina (Andy) has them quite reasonable and they work quite good. Check out his web site to view the item . Mark
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have two mounts for every footstrap end, all you need are the right stainless steel screws of the correct length. What you need are screws with a pitch and thread type that are designed for screwing into plastic. They are quite different than sheet metal screws at the hardware store. The original screws that came with the board are probably correct in every way.

On the other hand, if you need to mount with a single screw and use the holddown part shown in your photo, you probably have more options with other designs in the industry. However, one that front, I can't help you there because all my boards have the preferred two inserts per footstrap end.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ones hold the strap so that it's less prone to lift when pressuring (prying) up on the strap.

They do little to prevent twisting, it's what's underneath the strap that helps. Fanatic and JPs are similar I believe. These are pictured in my anti twist video.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Kine should sell a set that works on any number of holes.

That I found quickly looking , Da Kine only has 1 Hole.
Chinook as already said has...

http://www.windance.com/Chinook-Twist-Control-System/33897/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyoHlBRCNARIsAFjKJ6ANwtsst2NwMNGB2g7-Rfeg3_2u-Tf0OO3rQ44eS3SX32G_OH7ZfrcaAg_lEALw_wcB

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I missed the question, arf!

What u2 said + contact big winds, isthmus, sunset, whatever windsurf shop that sells accessories.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://4boards.co.uk/product/repair-shop/unifiber-foot-strap-anti-twist-washer-set/

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Foot strap hardware options Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
I'm only familiar with this type of hold down washer. JP has a double bolt system but where can one purchase that hardware at? What other options are out there?

rtz - This isn't very clear!
What exactly dp you have... and what's your question?

It sounds like you have a board with footstrap inserts... where there are 2 holes at the ends of the straps. Meaning, it takes 4 screws to attach each strap to the board. It that correct?

Cause if that's correct... then you have the correct straps.
And all you need are the correct screws and stainless steel washers.
You don't need any anti-twist hardware, cause this system doesn't twist.
Like I said, just get the correct screws and simple flat washers to go with them.
Any decent hardware store will have what you need.
Greg -

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've amassed a huge variety of straps, boards, and anti-twist devices intended for two or one mounting screw per end. The best anti-twist design by far is two screws per strap end. With those, all you need to mount each strap is four screws and four simple hardware screws, and -- violins -- no more twist and no more screws that loosen up.

Just onnnnne (actually two) little problems:
1. Most board manufacturers are too cheap to use double-screw inserts. Shame on them.

2. No one can decide which hole spacing to use, leading to rampant incompatibility between hardware, straps, and/or boards.

BTW ... what's that big black-handled thing in the hand driving in a screw in the photo above? Is that a holdover from the last century known as a human-powered screwdriver? Wow, what'll they re-invent next, a telephone with a dial on its face?

Just kidding, of course. My point is that I've been using a drill for footstrap screws for at least 30 years with no problems. I just set the clutch on 17 and pull the trigger until the screw backs out or the clutch chatters, depending on whether I'm removing or installing the screw. I've read arguments against that, but have not found it to be a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: