myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What sail can I pair with this odd Powerex 500cm?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
mark wrote:
After leaving Neil Pryde, Spanier joined Gaastra as part of the Team. Gaastra sails at that time were constant curve and they remained so during the time when Spanier was their sail designer. I have a set of 2002 Gaastra Manic wave sails that even has the preferred mast written on them. The preferred mast was the Fiberspar Reflex Wave which is definitely a constant curve mast.

Spanier then became part of Maui Sails in 2005 so sometime around that date Gaastra moved toward using the hard top masts.

Interesting. I thought Spanier was the driving force behind hard top masts first at Gaastra and then at Maui Sails. Maui Sails masts were hard top .. although I have seen plenty of Maui Sails rigged on constant curve masts (including old Fiberspars) that looked better than on Maui Sails masts. One MS race sail that I bought a MS mast for never looked right. I later learned from a former MS team sailor that this particular year rigged much better on softer top masts.

Peter is correct. Barry et al advocated hard-top masts for FW sails (still in the CC range but at the edge) because, as he put it, sails get bigger but the human doesn't. What the sailor feels while sailing pretty much is defined by the mast at boom level. In his view, a sailor simply cannot handle the sail's power and leverage created by holding the middle of a stiff mast section.

This mast bend curve concept might have been a result of the rapidly developing FW sails because plenty of other brands win with more traditional curves.

mark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in my reply I may be off a bit in the dates. My original intent was to address Sea Dog's older V8 Neil Pryde sail which would use a constant curve mast as opposed to the later flex tops.

At least the first part of Spanier's time with Gaastra (1999 - 2002) the sails definitely used constant curve masts with Fiberspar being the preferred mast. The mast preference is even written on the sails (2002) that I have. However it makes sense that he may have made the switch to hard tops between 2003 and 2005 at Gaastra before he left for Maui Sails. I never had any Gaastra sails of later vintage so I don't know the details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: