myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board PAINT advice? (after footsrap insert install mod)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grayson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: board PAINT advice? (after footsrap insert install mod) Reply with quote

I don't have a local board repair guru, so I took this on myself...

foil-board-mod

...using the (amazing) boardlady website as my reference.

Now it's time for paint. I know nothing about paint. I reached out to a boat repair shop to do the painting for me, and they're asking me for "manufacturer's recommendations" for paint. Emailed Mike Zajicek (who built my Mike's Lab board) and he responded with:

Mike Zajicek wrote:
Paint lightly with good quality preferable white 2K primer and sand most of it off. Paint ads insane amount of weight.

Is he suggesting primer only, with no paint over it? The boardlady's paint page has some great instructions on how to mix, color match, and apply paint, but nothing I could see on what kind of paint to use.

Some relevant details about my goals etc...

- I just want white, don't need precise color match.
- I want it to look decent, but more important is good durability and weather/water resiliency.
- I'm not as weight-conscious as I think Mike is, with his performance race board focus.
- I also have some acrylic dust to re-apply non-skid if needed.
- I plan to put bigger deck pads on with more coverage than the minimalist racing Padz that were on this board before.

So, I turn to youall for guidance...

- Any suggestions for what kind of paint to use?
- Should I skip paint altogether in the areas under my new deck pads, or is that a bad idea?
- Should I sand down to bare fiberglass ('er, carbon fiber) where we'll be re-applying paint?
- Is it worth considering sanding the entire deck down to re-paint the whole thing?
- Also, any advise for removing the contact cement residue where I removed the enormous nose pad? The contact cement residue doesn't seem to respond well to mechanical attempts at removal.

Would sure appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers,
Grayson
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: board PAINT advice? (after footsrap insert install mod) Reply with quote

grayson wrote:

- Any suggestions for what kind of paint to use?

Use an Epoxy spray can. Cheap and works perfectly fine. I once repainted a whole board with it! (see below). For my Foil conversion project I used a left over gray can. No need to prime.
grayson wrote:

- Should I skip paint altogether in the areas under my new deck pads, or is that a bad idea?

The Paint serves little function once the hull is covered by a pad ...
grayson wrote:

- Should I sand down to bare fiberglass ('er, carbon fiber) where we'll be re-applying paint?

I would sand lightly, just get to a smooth surface ... you know that but be careful not to sand through the carbon!
grayson wrote:

- Is it worth considering sanding the entire deck down to re-paint the whole thing?

If you want to paint it white it seems just a lot of extra work for little return? If you do you will need to apply a new grip. More work ... thin layer of epoxy followed by the acrylic dust.

fsw85.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.47 KB
 Viewed:  25742 Time(s)

fsw85.jpg

IMG_0676s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.25 KB
 Viewed:  25742 Time(s)

IMG_0676s.jpg

Last edited by dvCali on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:33 am; edited 5 times in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2k is a special primer.
I would then apply a light coat of the best Home Depot or insert store, spray can of a spray bomb. Then sand again, prob use satin or flat. Do not use auto lacquer .

I can detail if you pm me. Not an expert IMO. BUT LOADS OF EXPERIENCE.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out NSI for the pads.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dog with OCD. Your project reminds me of him. Very Happy

I gotta ask ... did Mike agree that your straps needed moving, or do you just want to detune the high-performance racing board he designed so meticulously?

OTOH, it's moot now, isn't it? Smile

A project so involved really makes me appreciate having board factories nearby. "Hey, Art, fix this."

BTW, I install new pads right over the old ones if I use those locations. It adds lots of cush. If in a place I have no use for, I might spend about 5 minutes yanking off the old ones, slap the new ones over the residue, and never even know the residue is under there.
grayson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions!

NOVAAN wrote:
Check out NSI for the pads.
Already done. Purchased the pad material from them months ago (back when I thought I was going to just hand this project off to somebody else). Just need to cut it to shape and glue it down after the board is painted.

isobars wrote:
did Mike agree that your straps needed moving, or do you just want to detune the high-performance racing board he designed so meticulously?
Mike designed the board for Formula windsurfing, and his footstraps are placed perfectly for that. I concluded long ago that Formula is way too much work for me. I'm re-purposing the board for foiling, and footstraps want to be in a very different place for that.

isobars wrote:
A project so involved really makes me appreciate having board factories nearby. "Hey, Art, fix this."
Yeah, rub it in. Wish I had that kind of resource nearby.

isobars wrote:
I have a dog with OCD. Your project reminds me of him. Very Happy
Guilty as charged. Wink

BTW, when I asked about removing the contact-cement residue, I was talking about in the nose area. I'm thinking I may not re-install the enormous nose-pad I had on there for learning to foil, and so want to remove the contact cement residue in the nose area before painting.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been happy with krylon fusion paint, didn't use primer. I did get the can nice and warm then shot thin coats. It's an enamel but pretty tough.

Last edited by grantmac017 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photographic survey of what you've done, and looks like you've done a high quality job. Regarding painting, you might want to investigate Eastman 2K paint in a can.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-2k-aerospray-polyester-primer-surfacer.html

The only problem seems to be that the color white doesn't seem to be offered. You can get primer gray, black, red, blue, orange and clear. Seems to me that you could do a partial colored top coat design along the lines that dvCali used and still retain the original white along the rails and preserve Mike's sticker and colored accents.

Lastly, to paint your nose repair on the rail you could simply use a normal Krylon appliance white spray paint. Mike suggested using it for repairs back in the early 90s, and I have used it on many of his boards over the years since then. I've found that it matches pretty well.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the job comes out.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grayson wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses and suggestions!

Best possible suggestion? Get a foil specific board. Very Happy

Modified Slalom or Formula boards don't really work that well as foil boards Shocked

IMG_0667.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.52 KB
 Viewed:  25677 Time(s)

IMG_0667.jpg

Last edited by dvCali on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1+ for Automotive spray can primer and paint from pepboys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: