myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Favorite sail size
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my best wave sailing sessions have been when the wind is cross offshore and fairly light. therefore, my favorite sail tends to be larger. in florida, quite often these offshores are puffy until compressed up the wave faces. 6.8 allows for enough wind power to stay afloat in nearly no wind, yet forgiving if the wind spikes to mid 20's.

if i lived in a better wave spot, i am sure my fav would still tend toward lighter winds. the surf has less chop in those conditions.

when flat water blasting, i prefer 5.7

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
akrausz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail both open ocean and bays. My favorites are the middle of my quiver, a few sails from 5.5 to 7.3. Can't say I like one over another. They are all new and they're brilliant. I'm 210 pounds.

Last edited by akrausz on Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:41 am; edited 3 times in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings GT,

I guess that depends on how much experience you have with 3.7-4.5,
and where I sail you can get pretty steady 3.7-4.5, but again steady is
in the experience of the beholder.

My survival sailing experiences are down in the 2.8 range. 4.2 is pretty peaceful if you want it that way.

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

3.7 to 4.5 sail territory is not quite like that magic and effortless ranging about with the sheer joy of wind powered movement. It is more hectic, and is often more survival than pleasure. Fine for the challenge, and for proving something, but not day after day after day! (Used to love it - but!!)

westender

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
My most commonly used sail is my NW 5.2 Sine Wave, which covers every bit of the range of a 5.7 and 5.2 Featherlite combined.

Iso, I'm thinking about Sinewaves but from 3.2 to 4.2 you need a mast for each sail?? WTH??
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might disagree Craig!!

I did used to be a high wind seeker, and as I've said before, I once altered a 3.4 sail, as an experiment in high wind control, to find an upper limit. (A series of graded circles cut out of the upper leech to disrupt the smooth airflow, create turbulence, and keep the runaway speed of my old custom waveboard under reasonable control.)

I took it out at our local exposed beach on a heavy gale day, and it was a partial success. It DID kill the sudden jerking of insane gusts, and keep just a reasonable planing speed - till the inevitable wipeouts! It kind of worked in a delayed reaction way, as a severe gust took a few seconds to establish the air flow across it, before shooting up on to plane.

The Coastwatch crew were watching from their box, high up on top of a building, and in talking with them afterwards I was told that the whole box had been shaken by a sustained gust of 63 m.p.h. at its peak, and they had seen me actually up and belting at the start of it before crashing out in a collosal mass of spray and blown of sheets of water from the swelly chop.

I remember that exactly because i was seriously worried as I lay in the water desperately holding down the boom with my back to the mayhem, trying to breathe. (Open sea don't forget.)

So it's not that I don't have experience of high winds, but that it scared me at the time (and the Coastwatch crew) and made me realise that it can get way out of hand to us non world champs. I don't want to do that anymore.

I certainly agree that 4.5 and sometimes 3.7 powered sailing is fun (IF not too gusty), but all things considered, give me my now favourite 94 litre Exocet cross and a 5.0 or 5.5 perfectly powered on an open sea swell on a sunny day, and I can almost believe in a heaven!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GT,

I understand what you are saying, and the sea commands respect.
If you don't respect it, you die.

The river commands some respect, but not like the Ocean.
With enough energy, you can almost always get to land with a
swim. I'm too old for combat conditions any more, but we do get
pretty fine 4.2 days (like reasonably steady) in my neck of the
sailing woods. I've seen big gusts like you survived (and been
flattened by them), but at sea the danger takes on a whole
new meaning. I would not call that prime sailing conditions,
and 3.7 with gusts to 63 is not fun. Actually, 5M conditions are
pretty premium on Maui ;*) so we can agree there.

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I thought you might disagree Craig!!

The Coastwatch crew were watching from their box, high up on top of a building, and in talking with them afterwards I was told that the whole box had been shaken by a sustained gust of 63 m.p.h. at its peak, and they had seen me actually up and belting at the start of it before crashing out in a collosal mass of spray and blown of sheets of water from the swelly chop.

I remember that exactly because i was seriously worried as I lay in the water desperately holding down the boom with my back to the mayhem, trying to breathe. (Open sea don't forget.)

So it's not that I don't have experience of high winds, but that it scared me at the time (and the Coastwatch crew) and made me realise that it can get way out of hand to us non world champs. I don't want to do that anymore.

I certainly agree that 4.5 and sometimes 3.7 powered sailing is fun (IF not too gusty), but all things considered, give me my now favourite 94 litre Exocet cross and a 5.0 or 5.5 perfectly powered on an open sea swell on a sunny day, and I can almost believe in a heaven!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed sir, and we could do worse than take that quaint John Millington Synge (1871 - 1909) dictum to heart.

'A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drownded for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drownded now and again.'

(I think I'll have it tattooed on my buttocks, as an ever painful reminder!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: