myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella update Reply with quote

we are finally under way with the dreaded "Dam Remediation", a $250 million project to remedy assorted shortcomings (real or perceived) of the current infrastructure. The lake was drawn down to below the flume last fall, to allow plugging up of the leaking Borel conduit, and to extend the new launch ramp at Nuui Cunni. Thankfully, that work was completed in late January, which allowed us to hang on to the wonderful precipitation we had this winter. The lake has since recovered from the puny 2537ft elevation/66kacft volume, to 2569ft elevation today, with approx 220kacft of volume. With our snow pack at a delightful 154% of normal, the watermaster predicts our lake to rise to the permitted 2585ft elevation (361,250acft) by July 1. YAAAAY!
Now the bad news: at the moment, there is much work going on between the dams, where the whole mountain that the Forest Service Visitor Center used to sit on, it carried off, to make room for a humongous new spillway. All that does for us lake users is make a racket.
Alas, somewhere in the near future, work will re-commence at the top of the AuxDam and Old Isabella Rec Areas, so that access will get dicey again (we had some doozies earlier this year, but since learned to talk to each other, so I believe we can retain some access throughout whatever the contractor needs to do)
And then, of course, eventually, work will commence on the dams themselves, bringing the action much closer to our sailing venues.
So let's enjoy while we can!!
Forest Service last summer granted us 25ft windsurf/paddlesport launch zones, one each at AuxDam and Ghetto. They worked marvellously, with only minor objections from the general recreating public. I just deployed them again, so we should be good even through the busy weekends.
Speaking of: the dreaded Lake Isabella Fishing Derby will rage Apr 13 through 15. Let's sail to our heart's content right up to the 12th! But I think it would be a valuable gesture of good will, to leave the lake to the anglers on this their one big event all year!
For near-daily Isabella updates, you may want to check my FB blog at https://www.facebook.com/groups/294638607227135/
sail on!
Eva

droneMar11-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  514.17 KB
 Viewed:  11957 Time(s)

droneMar11-3.jpg

da zone.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  597.4 KB
 Viewed:  12066 Time(s)

da zone.jpg

spennie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the above and having a hard time conceptualizing the numbers, until I whipped out my calculator.

Right now the lake has risen 32 feet vertically from the previous low! If the predictions are correct, it's going to rise a total of 48 vertical feet! So if the beach has a 12:1 slope, that's a 576 foot longer reach on just one side!

WOOHOO!! LET'S RIG!!!

kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! hope to see you all there again this summer. spennie, this time I'll bring you some clear ice!
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon up, Kevin, and bring your friends!

IssiJune19.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.01 KB
 Viewed:  11773 Time(s)

IssiJune19.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: