myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good deal on straps?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Good deal on straps? Reply with quote

What foot straps do you use and where do you tend to get them from? Know of any good deals?

Any straps out there that are known to be junk?
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbery type straps (instead of webbing) tend to break after a while.
The consensus seems to go towards the Dakine Primo.

I'm sure you are familiar with my tips & tricks section of my site: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/

It includes links to various straps.

Also, my nicely detailed video on the subject:

I really like most JP straps, where to buy? But the Dakine Primo has been durable, correct stiffness, adjusting range, and, with a bit of extra padding, they can be very comfortable.

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest contacting Windance in Hood River, OR. They undoubtedly will carry DaKine, but possibly Chinook too. Both are very worthy and as tough as nails.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related question:
Is there a strap that works best with booties? I tend to wear them out right where they meet the deck (set narrow and tall).
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you skip a hole?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deal, schmeal. Like almost everything else, footstrap preferences are highly personal, especially because they are our only link between body and board. I've owned maybe a couple of dozen makes and models, tested many more, modified many of them, and tried many mounting schemes. Yet I still try almost every new model in the hopes of finding something that even approaches full comfort, safe release, and transparent performance. I haven't found them yet.

One HUGE factor is whether your feet have a normal arch on top. It lets us set and pretty much forget the strap, because the arch serves as a stop to the depth our feet slide in. In the absence of a pronounced arch, da feet just keep wedging ever deeper into the strap, putting our arches (they are full of many bones and joints) at risk of serious injury ... just one more reason I don't wittingly sail with only my front foot strapped in. With no arch to stop the wedging, To optimize their safety and effectiveness, I have to readjust my straps several times in some sessions, which MANDATES externally adjusting straps.

With booties, some externally adjusting straps will not accommodate my size 13s. I sometimes modify* internally adjusting straps to reduce the time, extreme effort, torn-up fingertips, and layer upon layer upon layer of that GD black on black on black cast iron velcro required to even FIND the adjustment strap on most internally adjusting straps. If I can't adjust a strap in 5 seconds with no effort, I sell it to people who don't need to adjust them so often.

* That modification often involves nothing more than inserting white (so I can SEE them) velcro tabs covering most of the strap's velcro to GREATLY reduce the force required to open them and to interrupt all that inexplicable GD black on black on black $#!+. I'm tired of bleeding fingertips and five-minute-per-strap adjustments. I also don't re-fasten that GD useless outer layer of still more black $#!+; I just slap the outer layer loosely together just enough to keep it from flopping open on its own. Until I began those changes, I absolutely HATED internally adjusting straps, and refused to use them. I'm slowly rethinking that with further experimentation.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Could you skip a hole?

On my wave boards, I want to be as far in as possible but easily pull out (narrow and tall) For foiling or on a bigger board I just want my toes (if I wasn't in booties) visible with the straps a little wider and tighter.
I have switched to a pair of booties which seem to offer the best interface with my straps, virtually bare foot feel. But they still rub the sides a bit raw and I have gotten stuck once.
I run booties so often that sailing without them feels extremely odd.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used booties, but I must say that I only stick my feet in so that the footstraps align with the ball of my feet. So, not too deep overall, with only my toes visible.

As a result, I don't have any problems getting out of the straps if I need to. But I will say that most of my boards don't have footpads, because I like a more direct feel of the board. Still though, my smaller higher wind boards do have more minimal footpads, but even with them I don't have any real problem getting out. The key for me is not getting to deep in the straps. Too deeply into the straps feels totally wrong, and it don't have optimum control over the board and fin.

As an important caveat, I don't see myself as a hardcore wavesailor really pushing the margins. Most of my boards are slalom and B&J oriented, but sometimes I do enjoy mixing it up in more mellow waves. I come from an extensive surfing background, so that gives me a bit more edge to have fun in the waves.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booties tend to stick more than bare feet and may not require the fit to be as tight or narrow. If skipping a hole doesn't work then maybe you can use asymmetrical washers and use the thin side in?
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using anti-rotation hardware (MFC, it's excellent), doesn't offer any half positions.
I ride onshore and side-shore waves, haven't been in proper offshore or side off yet. I have big feet and prefer to be as close to on centerline as possible, that means a deep foot insertion. I'm rarely getting hung up with the new booties (Solites BTW), but still wearing the strap edges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: