myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
More fins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: More fins Reply with quote

Looking at getting some fins to experiment with. What sizes? Does anyone have experience with any of these models?

https://www.makanifins.com/collections/windsurfing-fins/products/kohola-v2-freerace-g-10-black

or

https://www.makanifins.com/collections/windsurfing-fins/products/kohola-v2-freewave-g-10-black

And:

https://chinooksailing.com/collections/windsurfing-fins/products/liquid-pro

or

https://chinooksailing.com/collections/windsurfing-fins/products/freeride-hf-freeride
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased several wave fins from makini and will likely be getting one of there weed fins soon. Very pleased with the high quality and performance of their fins. They are exceptional quick to respond to questions, etc via email and have really good customer service if a fin is out of stock. So they may be a good choice for you - give them a call or email with questions.

Rob
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTZ, to recommend a style or size of a fin, we need board and size, plus sails to be used with the board. Also, the likely wind conditions and your weight.

There's tons of variables to making fin purchase decisions.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again ... swap meets. For the price of one new fin, you can snag 5 or 10 quite different used fins, clean up any nicks you can feel, and experiment. I could feel differences in fins -- even flaws in some new fins -- long before I could jibe.
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Maui Fin Co. fins from Chinook are great, I've bought several. The Liquid Pro model generates a lot of lift/power for it's size, so you could probably go a little smaller than you usually would. Their race fins are also very good, I've gone 40mph on one!

As for size, there's about a million variables to consider: Wind speed, board size, board WIDTH, sail size, your weight, your ability, what kind of sailing you're doing, where you're doing it, fresh water, salt water, etc. etc..

Answer the questions here and watch 10,000 replies come in, all with conflicting information!

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Makani Kolola 38. Worse fin in 20 years. Spun out with the slightest up wind pressure and difficult to get it to hook up again. Called them and they sent me another one. It worked great. Excellent customer service.
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Once again ... swap meets.

Right, I'll check the Pennysaver and mark them on my calendar. What I especially like about our swap meets is that I can always find fins in the 38-55cm range in Powerbox, Tuttle AND Deep Tuttle, just like I need. I usually try to arrive early to beat the crowds. Wink
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 38 and 42 Liquid Pros and back when they listed recommended sail sizes it was a 6.5 and 7.5 respectively. I think it is tough to get a better fin for the price. I also have Select Free Slalom fins, they are nice, they're light and fast, but not as durable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: