myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The BIG front hand grip DEBATE: under or over?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: The BIG front hand grip DEBATE: under or over? Reply with quote

Ben Proffitt (wave sailor) just posted an image of him cruising along with an underhand grip, Antoine Albeau (slalom racer) is often caught with an underhand grip too. One crazy French guy (from Carro) has a custom boom that is completely bent so he can use an underhand grip comfortably even wave riding.

I personally always use an overhand grip. Only when waterstarting sometimes will I have my hand under until I flip the sail up. I saw some guys throwing forward loops with an underhand grip but does that introduce automatically more roll into them? Would they be able to do safe late forwards like so?

When sailing along, I place my front hand by the lines, my thumb can barely touch the lines. And my back hand farther back. The only time I move my front hand forward is when I need to choke the sail, depower it quickly (tack, jibes, some waterstarts, etc.). The more stable and reliable a sail is the more I can commit my front hand back utilizing the full power of the sail, needing choking quickness.

So what are YOUR reasons to sail with an underhand grip. Big sails? Sailing overpowered wanting to choke the rig? Speed? Can you jibe, jump, tack, freestyle, go fast?

Underhand examples:

Overhand examples:

bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should not be any debate about it - both work, do whichever is more comfortable.

Personally, if I’m in a situation where I need to apply pressure down thru the boom (MFP) like when sailing upwind or in light wind, or if I need more control (like way overpowered) overhand tends to be more comfortable. If in a more hiked out position, sometimes underhand. I would say probably 80% of the time is overhand and 20% underhand. I also find underhand makes it more comfortable to tilt the rig forward to initiate a forward.

Again, it is really just a comfort issue, there is no “right” answer.

sm
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG pictures for a small debate.
Both, depending on what you're trying to achieve.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's "right?" Stepping on the brakes? Or not?
westender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys will never catch up to Isos' post count.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is better, hamburgers or ice cream?

Which is better, Chevy or Ford?

Which is better, blondes or brunettes?

Which shoe is better, size 10 or 12?

Which hand is better, right or left?

Which is better, a sports car or a pickup truck?

SERIOUSLY?

Doing anything the same way over and over and over is likely to cause repetitive motion disorders (RMDs) such as carpal tunnel syndrome, bursitis, tendonitis, epicondylitis, ganglion cyst, tenosynovitis, and trigger finger. Mix it up.

After several doctors gave up and said I'd have all my wrist and forearm pains for life, I began mixing up my grip very deliberately all day long when sailing. Problem solved.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even just cruising along, it hurts my arm to use an underhand grip. It causes an odd twist.
Also, I feel like I can get more distance from the rig with an overhand grip (big point to me).

As a test, with both arms at your side, now lift your arms straight up and look at the position of your hands.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different shoulders do better with different choices. I can't straight line blast with my front hand over (my shoulder is uncomfortable), but I know some excellent sailors who insist on it.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect boom height and clew grommet position play (probably the most important) role.

The more horizontal the boom is, the more comfortable an overhand grip will be. The more raked back the boom is, the more comfortable it will be to go underhand.

sm
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more comfortable underhand, but I use overhand a lot when
I'm underpowered to get and stay planning. Maybe you live in a light
wind area?

-Craig

manuel wrote:
Even just cruising along, it hurts my arm to use an underhand grip. It causes an odd twist.
Also, I feel like I can get more distance from the rig with an overhand grip (big point to me).

As a test, with both arms at your side, now lift your arms straight up and look at the position of your hands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: