myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness with the most back support
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Seat harnesses might be a bit uncool, but they're the best when it comes to eliminating back problems. And, if you're going to get thrown and rag-dolled, I'll go with a seat harness every time. Also, a seat harness will never ride up. So many positives. They even cost less.

All you have to do is be a bit uncool.
I don't buy the "uncool", I use a seat harness in the surf (with a high hook) and I also wear a helmet, which some younger people consider "uncool" also.
Cool or uncool should be left in the school yard, along with fashion statements.
My harness a Flying Objects Transit, had it mailed to me from Australia. The hook is higher than in this pic, it's the same height as my old waist harness which killed my back, and stressed my old knees.

Transit-IMG0547.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  142.5 KB
 Viewed:  8809 Time(s)

Transit-IMG0547.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am totally dedicated to seat harnesses, but the majority of sailors these days use waist harnesses, even if they have back problems and issues with them riding up.

Hey, just look at the comments rtz offered. His back is bothering him using a waist harness, but he seems dedicated to sticking with them for some unknown reason. I think that if he tried a good seat harness, he would suddenly recognize how his back problems simply disappeared.

I use the old DaKine Speed Seats that are at least a 20 year old design (I've got 3 of them), and it has no back support at all. Frankly, you don't need any of that because a low slung seat harness doesn't have anything to do with supporting your back. It doesn't have to because it's all about gripping your pelvis instead, and that offers tons of leverage over the rig without sitting down in your stance. It's so easy to use the classic 7 type stance.

Probably back in the early 90s, I got one of the first DaKine XT seat harnesses, and I didn't like it at all. It was way too confining with so much extra material that I didn't need. But, each to their own.

Lastly, I too use a helmet, and I have for over 30 years, regardless of the wind conditions. Still though, we all know many view helmets as uncool and won't have anything to do with them. Again, each to their own.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smoke, how can it be not cool to use gear you're comfortable with?

I do remember reading on here people saying how excited they get carrying their gear to the water because they were such a cool windsurfer and everyone was watching them.
I've had similar sensations but I was thinking about possibly getting my ass kicked by the river.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard back versions , would be the pick for locked in and support.
Ion Mystic.
Ride have become popular.

I don’t think the carbon versions offer any more than a composite, they are more money.

Assure that you get a Windsurf bar.

This comes down to a personal preference.
Last spring I tried all the hard shell harnesses, Da Kine Ion Mystic Reide Engineering.

I bought a Da Kine C1, leftover 2017 model. It felt better waking around the store

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Phil McGain wrote:
the seat goes around your backside, not your back.

Apparently either Phil or I misunderstands the nomenclature, "seat harness", as only one seat harness of the many scores I've owned and/or tested supported from my butt; that one was a simple sling under my butt in the early 1980s. Virtually every other one supports from my lumbar region, some from my sit bones to my scapulae. The purpose of the seat in today's "seat harnesses" is to, first, hold the damned thing down so we don't have to maintain a specific stance to keep it down where it belongs and, second, to extend the support down if so desired.

To me, a more accurate term for most "seat harnesses" would be "a waist harness with something to hold it down" where it belongs. There's no way in hell I want one more damned mandate such as "You must stand this way and sacrifice free belly breathing to windsurf" interfering with my fun and freedom. I see NO negative factor and several positive ones in what I call "seat harnesses".
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well before I spend another $100+; I'll get out my old Dakine Fusion and give it a try and see how it is....

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/kiteboard/kite-harnesses/fusion-kiteboard-harness/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 70 (congratulations) does change the way we see things, doesn't it LeeD? (80+ more so!!)

Seat harness and no back pain when hooked in, including slogging, the way to go. Mine is now a kite seat harness. A bit more restrictive at times - but not half so much as would be crippling back pain from NOT bowing to the inevitable restrictions of our body structure, by chasing image!
rtz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more clarity from Phil:

https://youtu.be/v3HZWyNpxfU
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A seat harness enables a pelvic tilt position when hiked out at speed. If you have back issues you will understand why that helps. It also is easier to "sit" on the harness to maintain mast foot pressure when slogging. Hooking in is easier with a waist harness; if you are in and out of the harness a lot, that might tip the scales. I use both, but for slalom and B&J, I think the seat harness works better.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz wrote:
Some more clarity from Phil:

https://youtu.be/v3HZWyNpxfU

That's what I suspected; he's talking about what I would call an extreme/purely seat harness. I've used a Fusion for years now, ever since DaKine's XT Seat or whatever it was called went to the size and heft of a Lazy Boy.

From the archives: I wrote:
SEARCH the forum on XTSEAT. It and many others have been discussed at great length; you'll learn a lot. Bottom Line: The only harness I'd even consider for years was the XTSEAT, but I blew it off when they contracted its design out to Lazy Boy and its construction out to Ford.

i.e., it now feels like this would feel

if built by the guys who make this:

Hyperbole? Sure. But it gets the point across. What were they THINKING?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: