myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Firmer harness lines?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Clip lines.

https://www.windsurfingharnesslines.com/

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's becoming very difficult to find lines that aren't TOO stiffly attached to the boom to suit me; I WANT swing, for very specific reasons. It's all about preferences and sailing styles.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my lines to hang straight down with some mild swing. The slight swing helps moving out of the way when unhooking. Too much swing and it may hook back in by itself!

Careful with the plastic lines, they tend to snap and may hurt your hands when sliding off the boom. Are they easy to adjust front to back?

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
1. I like my lines to hang straight down with some mild swing. The slight swing helps moving out of the way when unhooking. Too much swing and it may hook back in by itself!

2. Careful with the plastic lines, they tend to snap and may hurt your hands when sliding off the boom. Are they easy to adjust front to back?

1. Totally agree. When I spin my sail in a jibe, the lines fly way out due to centrifugal force. That's good when I'm ready to hook in, disruptive when I'm not. But it is pretty sweet when everything comes together all at once ... hands on the right spot on the exit side of the boom, both feet ready to enter their straps, and line in the hook sheeted in for max power on the exit broad reach.

2. I assume you're referring to Clip Lines. I tried them, but found them too stiff for my tastes ... much like the usual DaKine, Chinook, etc. lines. They wanted to stay in one place, just like most buyers seem to prefer. They adjusted for position and rotation well enough, but stayed there regardless of whether the sail was vertical or horizontal. I'm guessing they worked very well for folks who LIKE stiff lines.

I tried to post a picture of them, but Clip Lines deliberately blocks the process. I guess they don't like free PR.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one set of Dakine fixed lines and one set of Chinook fixed lines. The Dakines swing slightly less than the Chinooks. The boom diameters are the same. I mention this because I think boom diameter might make a difference. If boom diameter is larger, then the stitched webbing and line are adjacent to the boom tube and less swing. If boom diameter is smaller, less stitched line pushing against the boom tube, more swing. I prefer no swing, using roller bar might have to do with it, since roller bar is like having a much smaller hook.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.windsurfingharnesslines.com
I have used these on my wave boom for last couple of years
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture, Sergio. That's the product I tried to picture above, but it was prohibited by Clip Lines as proprietary.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 with Mark.

I really like white dual Dakine lines. When they get old they start swinging a bit more until they tear.

One can add pieces of inner tube to thicken (and protect) the boom and minimize swing.

dhmark

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Clip Lines swing way much more, look at that flat piece and how they flap back and forth in the video. Not good for no swing preference.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to see the swing you pointed out in the video. My Clips would stick straight up in the air when the rig was laying on the ground, if that's where they were set ... and that's where they DID set after a few hooked-in reaches. I wish *I* could still do that, but I don't want it in my harness lines. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: