myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help improve the new Squamish, BC. wind forecasts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Help improve the new Squamish, BC. wind forecasts. Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

We have started forecasting for select British Columbia sites. Since we do not have a local Squamish meteorologist who is a windsurfer or kiter we are really short of local wind knowledge. Our meteorologist are very good at forecasting the inbound wind patterns for the area but they need to learn how local variables like topography etc. impact the actual wind on the water.

So help us tiptoe up the learning curve by providing any insights you have about Squamish.

Please mail me at mike@iwindsurf.com

If you know someone who knows Squamish please forward this message to them.

Thanks!

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

temp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  242.72 KB
 Viewed:  18670 Time(s)

temp.jpg

loonie2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to see an interest in further developing forecasting for this area.

You may be aware: https://squamishwindsports.com/

For myself, I go here regularly but rely on other forecasts without really getting into the "meteorologist" level of understanding. In actual fact, this location is probably one of the easiest to forecast anywhere for an average folk like me (during the summer which is realistically the sailing season). I'm not saying it is not worthwhile to learn more. It would always be nice to predict the "perfect" day versus the average good day.

If there was any area of greater challenge, it would be the other paid sensor location up here (Boundary Bay). True, there are lots of models out there but it's typically a fall/winter location that's much less predicatable than Squamish. So being more confident about committing to ditch work and make it worthwhile would be a good thing.

Again - thank you for taking an interest in this location.
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Loonie,

Thanks for the feedback! The met team really appreciates the info. Here are a few more questions they have for you and any other locals.

If you like you can mail answers to me at mike@iwindsurf.com

1) Are there wind directions in the Georgia Strait that are commonly linked to Squamish winds?
2) Does the difference in temperature from the water surface to the mountains above play a role?
3) What signs do the locals look for in clouds or winds inland to tell them when it will be a windy day there?
4) Any other knowledge to share?

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: