myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil Wing Position for Beginner
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burtlundak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Foil Wing Position for Beginner Reply with quote

SlingShot Switch-Fuse questions. Other than making it easier to lift-off with my 2018 Windfoil will the wing forward position make my windsurf foil any more difficult to control? Is the rear wing position recommended for beginners for reasons other than slower response to forward/back pressure? Is a forward positioned wing faster than a more backward position. Using the foil on a RF81 Exocet.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing forward makes it more susceptible to over foiling. I preferred the middle setting for my first several sessions. Allowed me to have more speed and power without worrying about uncontrollable breaching. Now that I'm more used to the movements needed to control elevation I am ok with wing forward though.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the foil you are using do the the older blue 2018 or the orange 76cm wing?

I did not like the 76cm in the forward position, much harder to control and got plenty of lift in aft position.
burtlundak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
It depends on the foil you are using do the the older blue 2018 or the orange 76cm wing?

I did not like the 76cm in the forward position, much harder to control and got plenty of lift in aft position.

Did you find the 76cm wing to offer increased performance? Is it a better wing?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on body weight skill level and board. If Your fin box is towards the back of your board then having the foil in the back position might make it a bit more difficult to get the board to fly. I'm 165 lbs. using the Dialer 130 with the same foil as you. I have better control for a steady flight with my foil set in the back position. Early take off in lite winds is no issue. Better control equals more speed especially in foiling. For me foiling is not about how fast I go. I rater use a small sail in lite winds and enjoy the glide. That said sheet in and head off the wind a bit and your foil will be plenty fast.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a guy thats on his 3rd year foiling. He just got the new sling shot 105 board and the new all carbon foil. He is pretty much the fastest guy on the water until the winds gets over 20 average. Its amazing to watch him blast around passing the windsurfers and gliding thru lulls like they are not there...
burtlundak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: The Learning Curve Reply with quote

I'm looking for the best learning configuration for my Slingshot foil on my Exocet RF81 board. When the wing was in the forward position the board would fly quickly but the lateral control seemed too sensitive. With the wing in the back position it takes effort to get it to fly but has solid lateral control. My skill level has improved and that may be responsible for much of the difference.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the wing fore or aft only changes the balance point of your foil. If your just learning put it in the back as long as you can get your board to lift easily. We as windsurfer's tend to pressure the back foot and fin to gain speed and head up wind. Do that on a foil and you will foil out and crash.
once up on the foil you need to shift your hips forward over your front leg. Any shift in weight will make the foil react. The faster you go the more stable the flight becomes. Most of us here foil with the front foot in the strap and the back foot out. That allows you to move the back foot around to control you flight laterally. The trend here is to remove the back straps. All but one of us is on freeride foils and small sails. On the race sails and foils you need the back straps.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good guy at the lake makes most of his foiling turns and almost never crashes. Almost. His input was keep the weight forward in the turn and keep pressure on the rail all the way thru the turn. Lean back slightly and the foil wants to straiten out and over foil. I did that all day yesterday. Maybe next time I'll do what he said and stay dry...maybe
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burtlundak wrote:
LUCARO wrote:

Did you find the 76cm wing to offer increased performance? Is it a better wing?

I think it is better, but only cause it is bigger. The older blue one was 68cm i believe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: