myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil Wing Position for Beginner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Learning Curve Reply with quote

burtlundak wrote:
I'm looking for the best learning configuration for my Slingshot foil on my Exocet RF81 board. When the wing was in the forward position the board would fly quickly but the lateral control seemed too sensitive. With the wing in the back position it takes effort to get it to fly but has solid lateral control. My skill level has improved and that may be responsible for much of the difference.

If not getting enough lift with wing in the back position try moving mast foot back, it should fly easier

Some dudes take time to measure things, I tend to adjust by feel. Take a look here

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/Distance-from-Foil-to-Mast-foot?page=1#16
marc5

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you guys clarify what you mean when you say Slingshot wing in the forward or rear position? I have a Dialer 145 and the stock foil which I upgraded with the new Infinity 76 wing. The new wing is a big improvement for earlier flying and more stability. My problem--with new and old wing--is that my weight (185 lbs) has to be quite far forward for stable flight. Front foot is just in front of front strap. I get good long rides but when I try to get into the straps I tend to foil out, especially at higher speeds. This is with the front wing and fuselage set up so that there is about a thumb's width from front of mast to rear of front wing. I mostly sail with a Retro 7.0.

I talked to Wyatt Miller about it and he suggested I attach the fuselage to the mast directly through the front wing. The front wing has a cutout for this purpose, but I've never seen anyone use it that way. That is what I would call the rear--or maybe "full rear" position. He did caution to use longer bolts, as the standard bolts are not long enough to safely reach through wing and into fuselage.

Before I talked to Wyatt someone recommended trimming the leading edge of the rear wing up with a washer.

Unfortunately I am currently recovering from rotator cuff surgery and won't be able to sail this year until the fall. Getting kicks vicariously. Thanks for any ideas.
Marc
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer Slingshot wings are a much more efficient airfoil so they give up no speed while offering a lot more lift. Also the airfoil on the new ones has a more stable center of lift.
Honestly the 1st generation windfoil wings were not well designed at all.

Marc,
If you're foiling out move the mast base forward. I don't know anyone using the full rear position for the wing.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc5 wrote:
Before I talked to Wyatt someone recommended trimming the leading edge of the rear wing up with a washer.
Marc

Don't do that. I have seen someone's foil fall off the mast due to shearing of the bolts. He was using a washer on the front wing.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc5 wrote:
Could you guys clarify what you mean when you say Slingshot wing in the forward or rear position? I have a Dialer 145 and the stock foil which I upgraded with the new Infinity 76 wing. The new wing is a big improvement for earlier flying and more stability.

Forward means the fuselage is flipped so that the mast attaches further back from the front wing. The old blue wing works forward and aft, but it might be impossible to use the back strap when the blue wing is forward. The new orange 76 wing does not work well in forward so stick to aft. But you should be able to get into the back strap in that case, so not sure where you are going wrong.

Lots of factors affect foiling out. I can think of these possible reasons:
* Wing more forward
* Mast track more back
* feet relatively more forward
* Sheeting out due to being overpowered
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
marc5 wrote:
Marc

Don't do that. I have seen someone's foil fall off the mast due to shearing of the bolts. He was using a washer on the front wing.

Shimming the front wing is a totally different thing. I've run the rear shimmer for over a hundred hours.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the newer 2019 Slingshot fuselages are marked w/ A, B, & C mounting positions (were the mast mounts to the fuse). Last years foil packages w/ the blue wings do not have these markings on the fuselage. A position is the mast going through the wing. This is how you mount for SUP foiling, surf foiling, and kiting I believe. Windsurf foilers generally do not use this mounting position.

B position is that standard mounting config. I use this for the Infinity 76 wing.

C position involves taking everything apart, flipping the fuse around 180 degrees and remounting the front and rear wings. I use this position with only the biggest Infinity 84 wing. This config pushes the wing further forward. We do this because the Infinity 84 wing does not have a "neck" like the other wings, so the center of effort/lift on the wing actually gets pushed back toward the mast when mounted on the fuse. In B position config, I really did not feel the balanced feel when using the Infinity 84. C position config was much better.

This is all using the Wizard 125 from 2019 (2018 shape is the same but some of the bootstrap positions are a little different).

I find the Wizard 125, Infinity 76 mounted in standard config (B position), front footstraps all the way forward, and mast base a little back of center, to be very balanced. I'm typically using a small sail like 4.0 or 4.4. I also have my back straps mounted all the way back. I might move them forward one or two holes next time. all the way back is great for pumping onto the wing and for light winds. when it gets windy, i tend to take my back foot out and step it just forward of the rear strap and more inboard for control.

YMMV depending on your board and sail choice. I do find the 2019 Slingshot Wizard 125 and FWind package to be pretty much plug and play. works great and is generally easy to use... although shit still goes sideways sometimes!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxDBmS0Hwdu

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
jmcilhiney

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Levitator 160 and 76 wing 90cm mast.Tried it in B position, straps forward mast base forward, foil mounted to board as far back as possible.I couldn't keep from foiling out. Mounted wing directly to the mast in A position and found I need a bit of rear foot pressure or a bump off the chop to get the foil to rise up. Now I am able to come down off the foil comfortably, and crashing way less.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride the Slingshot Infinity 84 wing with the big rear wing stabilizer (mounted with wing tips pointed down). I ride the 84 Wing in the far forward position (distance between Mast and Wing is at the maximum distance).

Really well balanced and enjoyable. I set my mast base at 43 inches from the front bolt of the mast (on the Wizard 125). I read this is the sweat spot and it works very well for me.

I haven't played around with other settings but am also trying SUP foil with the 84. SUPing the darn thing is a LOT harder than Windfoiling.

As I get better I may try the faster wings in case I get the courage to do jumps.

Really love the foiling!

DC
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
SUPing the darn thing is a LOT harder than Windfoiling.

that's the truth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: