myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Matunuck Incident

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Matunuck Incident Reply with quote

To those of you who went windsurfing at Matunuck this past Saturday thanks for worrying about me and for filing the missing windsurfer report not coming back to shore and for helping pack my gear on my car so that it could be picked up. I was having trouble getting upwind due to a sudden wind shift and had gotten exhausted and decided to drift back to shore further downwind and came ashore at the East Matunuck Beach Pavilion. I did not activate my PLB as it was clear that I was drifting ashore. Not sure how long I was immersed in the water, but had gotten hypothermia and was very fortunate to have encountered some people on shore who drove me to get some hot chocolate to warm up. It just happened that one of them, Gena, is a physician.. She checked my pulse and noted that I had atrial fibrillation and called an an ambulance to bring me to the hospital. I was kept for observation overnight and were able to get the heart rate under control. It ended up that they had unearthed a preexisting condition of hyperthyroidism which in addition to the cold triggered the afib.

I have totally recovered from the incident and am now looking forward to the next session.

Thanks to all for help and concern.

Warmest Regards,

Lars Vestergaard
I
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sharing, Thanks .I like happy endings.
Are you the Lars that bought my Quad Fanatic ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
DrWind

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is. The Fanatic is a great board.

Lars
outcast

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this happened to you
We just lost a surfer on Cape...may have been arrhythmia
And Boardsurfer went swimming too

But hypothermia does not make you smarter or faster....do you think that having the PLB gave you a false sense of security?

It's sometimes funny watching prone surfers who have been in too long (and are cold)...they begin to drift out of the lineup, even offshore without seeming to realize it

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're ok. Interesting that you mention the afib. The scariest moments I had was when I experienced rather severe shortness of breath from trying to swim after my gear. I think it was all the rubber plus not being fit, though, not anything serious. I was surprised when they measured my heart rate at 140 after sitting in the ambulance for a few minutes, but by then, I was shivering quite a bit. It was pretty amazing to see how quickly there was tons of help on the beach and on the water, once someone had spotted my gear drifting in without me. Big thanks again to everyone who helped.
jpeter

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear all is OK. Nice to see you earlier in the day. It was great conditions out there. A friend of mine called me at dinner time looking for a last name to give the coast guard.

JP
dcharlton

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're safe, Lars! See you out next time!

DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: