myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail size choices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If the wind is light; and I can't plane with my 9m; will I be able to plane with the 10 or 11? Can enough fin be added to make it plane?"

Short answer is no and no, but a bigger fin may help in winds above 12 or so with your 9.0.

You seem to be too focused on gear. Learn the basic skills on the board you have first before buying more expensive stuff.

You are an 8 or 9 hour drive to Corpus Christi. It would be well worth it to take a vacation there and spend some money on lessons. You would probably learn more there in one week than you would in an entire season back home.
rtz

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go down to Corpus at some point.

Big Slalom or Race style fins? What sizes or size range? What's the largest size that would make it happen?
techno900

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's planing and then there's planning. The difference is: Straps back, feet in the straps, downward force from your harness to the mast foot and speeding at 20+ mph. When you are comfortable with that and making 1/2 of you jibes, then deciding on bigger sails and fins will come naturally.

Also, being comfortable on a smaller board around 125L with a 5.0 to 8.0 sails in winds from 15 to 25 mph and in the straps is a measure of intermediate skill. You should be working on that before heading to the big stuff, otherwise you won't have the skills to get the benefit of the larger equipment.

You should have the wind. I lived in Dallas and was getting 90 days a year of sailing in planing winds with sails from 4.0 to 9.2. Most of the days were on a 7.5 and smaller.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtz, I looked back at some of your earliest posts and found this:

"This is a windy place. At one time it was ranked one of the top inland lakes for sailing. 20-30mph wind very often. 15-20 second most often. 10-15 third. 10 and under is considered light wind. No one rides bigger then a 6m and some only own stuff in the 3 and 4m range. A 150L would be considered a big board. I'm the only one riding in light wind."

No wonder you are having trouble! This is a very difficult sport to learn on your own. Sounds like a pretty windy spot where you could sail a short board often with sails 6.0 and under and would not need the light wind gear.

Have you checked out any instructional videos?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I prompted you to move your footstraps to the outboard positions, but you still haven't gone there yet. At this rate, you just might be doomed to being a perpetual beginner that just can't move to the next level. You have to know how things work, understand getting there, and to do what it takes.

There's a lot of truth to what techno900 said about the measure of intermediate skill. Rather than think about blowing at lot of money on larger advanced gear, you should see if you have what it takes to make it on a 115-125 liter board, and that means regular waterstarting too. If you can't do that this upcoming season, you might think about buying a long board just to tool about in light winds.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps too many written inputs to implement?

get on the water with others with more experience. applying the written word after so many inputs well after the actual reading can often be counter productive?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
coachg

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to repeat what others have said. Until you are sailing comfortably with the footstraps in the most outboard positions on the Viper you lack the skill to take advantage of a bigger sail/fin. I would suggest you practice light wind skills of tacking/gybing/sail handling in winds 10 & under right now rather than trying to plane.

Coachg
akrausz

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the 8.2. If you like having a lot of sails, you will get enjoyment out of it.
Get the bigger fin. Yes a race fin, it goes upwind better, 50-56cm it's anybody's guess. Select Hydrofoils has a good fin selector.
Leave the footstraps where they are and all will be fine. But being in the footstraps is MANDATORY. For now, you only need outer position on that beginner board to achieve top speed, which is a boat-load of beginner board volume to be going top speed, so there's that. When you can get in the footstraps comfortably, and gybe over 25% of the time, treat yourself to a 135-liter or more foil-ready board, they're coming out with some really sweet ones. Maybe you could learn how to foil before learning how to blast at shortboard speeds, lol!
Unless you have the proper 100% carbon mast and boom, skip the 10-11 sail for now. Ideally you want a board closer to a free-formula, not a Powerbox board, to properly take advantage of it.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This response is actually for Mr. rtz. Wynsurfer is spot on here. I am
considered a very competent windsurfer. I weigh about 190lbs.
For me, a 9.5 sail is about the most planeable sail I can use, and I can use
it to stay planing in about 10MPH with a 150 ltr board and a 56cm fin.
Anything larger in sail size does not reduce my planning threshold, and it
won't reduce yours either. A 9.0 should be fine, but it won't even be
efficient, until you acquire a better skill set. Spend your money on more
time on the water!

A typical huge sail quiver for some one my 6'3" size and weight would be
9.5, 8.0, 7.0. For someone your weight with the proper skills, 9.0, 7.5,

It might seem like you can buy your way to more planning, but ultimately
you have to deal with the physics in this universe (and that's after you have skills.)

If people around you are planning on 6.5s and you can't plane on a 9.0
(board planform being similar) that should tell you that you can't buy your
way in (believe me, I tried to do that for years).

A larger surface area fin can get you a slight advantage. If you have to
spend, spend there. For about $150 you can get a monster (though non
racing) fin that might get you another MPH lower in planning threshold, and
you might find such a fin at a swap meet for $50.

Wishing you success,

-Craig

wynsurfer wrote:
"If the wind is light; and I can't plane with my 9m; will I be able to plane with the 10 or 11? Can enough fin be added to make it plane?"

Short answer is no and no, but a bigger fin may help in winds above 12 or so with your 9.0.

You seem to be too focused on gear. Learn the basic skills on the board you have first before buying more expensive stuff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: