myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Session rating
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Session rating Reply with quote

SearchAdvanced search
First unread post • 11 posts 1 2 Next
PK1111
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 21 times
Introducing the Skunkatron 6000
Report Quote Like
Post by PK1111 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:58 am

Ladies and gentlemen,

In our continuing journey to develop and enhance the life experience of windsurfing, it has come to our attention that there is no standardised rating mechanism for a session, and this presents an opportunity to reduce confusion.

Building on the pre digital revolution Skunatron 5000 (r), we proudly proffer the Skunkatron 6000 series for session measurement.

Level zero (0)
Commonly referred to as a “complete skunking” this level is reserved for those sessions where the windyrig has trecked to the beach on a highly unlikely forecast, to find zero wind or waves.
Beach goers abound, with families much in evidence, building sand castles and guzzling ice cream.
They, and you, are wondering why the hell you are here.
Escaping family commitments or DIY are the common causes, although lack of a good session (>3 on the 6000 reading) can drive desperate attempts.
Some sea sweeping activity is common, but rarely fulfilling.
Frankly, you are best off returning home, lighting the bbq and drowning your sorrows in beer.

Level one (1)
Utilised for sessions where forecast conditions do not arrive, but the windyrig rigs gear and gets into a wetsuit for good form.
Much standing around on the beach with fellow skunked poleboarders bemoaning our inability to forecast more accurately and ignoring a preponderance for believing the one optimistic forecast as fact and ignoring all the more pessimistic forecasts.
Sea sweeping is still in evidence, as is some windsupping.
Some nutcase will put a parachute the size of Somalia into the sky and foil around the beach, prompting much admiration from the beach goers who conclude that kitesurfing is very, very cool.

Level two (2)
Utilised for sessions where an iffy forecast delivers, but for some reason, things just don’t quite work.
Likely enfeeblers include lack of correct gear, suboptimal gear selection, timing and / or sailor proficiency issues.
This will be reinforced by local hotshots flying past you as you wallow along off the plane, and by becoming the target rounding mark in the water.
Sailors will seek solace with each other in vain attempts to prove it was something else that was “a bit shit”, rather than just them.
You probably broke something or left something behind.
The beach goers will now be asserting that kitesurfing is exceptionally cool and they don’t know why anyone windsurfs any more.
Quietly, we are all inclined to agree.
A low percentage chance of a ride home in an ambulance, unless you’re a string dangler in which case it’s a high probability.

Level three (3)
The minimum standard for a “good” session.
The forecast arrives and the windyrig turns up at the right place, at the right time, with the right gear.
Required spouse / family passes have been granted as they have looked at the sailors mournful expression, noticed the wind outside, and granted leave.
Conditions are fun, easy and welcoming. Not too windy or cold, but maybe could have been improved, as one of the holy trinity of wind, waves and sunshine is missing.
You will have to share the water with string dangling, tea tray riders, who blatantly ignore the rules of the road.
Likely to be at your local beach, it’s like a 4 pack of beer. Nothing outstanding, but really hits the spot.

Level four (4)
Experience is substantially improved over a 3, like a glass of proseco or a good G&T, rather than aforementioned 4 pack.
Either conditions are better than forecast, new gear is utilised as intended, the holy trinity is delivered, you pull off a new move or the local pro acknowledges your existence with a cheery grin.
This is as likely to happen at an unfamiliar beach or especially abroad, as at your home beach.
Either way, you’ll be buzzing for the rest of the week, your family will bask in your renewed confidence and you’ll be bragging to all that will listen.
Posts will appear on social media, but you won’t get many likes.

Level five (5)
Now we are talking.
Exceptional conditions arrive, and the windyrig really nails it.
Perfect gear for the conditions, which remain challenging, but constant and highly rewarding.
More likely at a non local beach and especially abroad.
No kiters, and any poor sod on the beach will be exclaiming that they don’t know how windsurfers do it.
The windyrig will fondly remember for the rest of the year.
Photographic evidence is produced on social media and many likes and encouraging comments are made.

Level six (6)
Reserved for those extremely rare occurrences, often once a decade, when all the stars align, conditions are perfect and the windyrig performs to an exceptional standard.
All kitesurfers are grounded.
The local hotshots whoop encouragement at you.
Photos appear in the national press and the non believers are aware that windsurfing still exists.
Work colleagues look at you in awe and offer to buy drinks so they can be seen out with you.
When windsurfers convene at social events, talk will eventually turn to “that day” .
Windsurfers return home to a cracking meal, copious drinks, an appreciative and astounded family, rounded off by more drinks, dancing, and, probably, a great round of sex.
The surf gods (Neptune, Poseidon, Naish, Dunkerbeck, Polakow etc) nod their heads in approval.

We trust that classification mechanism is clear and that it will be adopted in future HWIFY posts.

The Windsurfing Flashmob
These users liked PK1111’s posts (total 5):
Hazzabee, Jamesblonde, Westy, Charlie W, Lostboy
BillG
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 22 times
Re: Introducing the Skunkatron 6000
Report Quote Like
Post by BillG » Thu May 09, 2019 11:29 am

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rating system for decadesd has been this:

Class I skunk = I drove (70 miles here, 185 in New Mexico) but never even rigged.

Class II = I drove and rigged for nothing.

Class III = I drove, rigged, and got wet for nothing. (I've never understood this "At least I got wet" philosophy, especially when it's chilly.)

I'd have to rate that March 2018 day when I lost all my gear a Class IV.
justall

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:

Some nutcase will put a parachute the size of Somalia into the sky and foil around the beach, prompting much admiration from the beach goers who conclude that kitesurfing is very, very cool.

No kiters, and any poor sod on the beach will be exclaiming that they don’t know how windsurfers do it.

Hah! I love this. And these observer-quotes are spot-on..

I’ve had one Level 6 and it was awesome ... though the wife apparently thought it was a Level 5.
flaherty

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Level -10. Spend a small fortune to travel to a place wher " it's always windy at that time of year" plan for two weeks . First week totally skunked, comets are " it hasn't been this bad in many years" second week , barely enough wind to rig let alone sail, get one or maybe two days of marginal wind. As an added kicker board plane after going thru customs, but plane has issues , get off plane , have to leave the next day. Question sanity of myself and windsurfing in general. I won't name place so as to protect the innocent
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The departure day and for 2weeks straight it must be howling

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to bet MANY windsurfers from multiple continents had a major skunk on any scale the year the Gorge central corridor was flat for 4 weeks in July (by far the windiest I've ever seen Jones Beach/Nuclear Alley 20/7, but they weren't paying attention.) Stuff happens.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice read.

I have 3 ratings for my sessions' log.

1. sucked but logged (like today actually, maybe 1 or 2 jumps, some planing)
2. good (planing+several landed jumps)
3. awesome (excellent conditions throughout)

As we get better I think we tend to enjoy more sessions because things are easier.

techno900

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rating is based upon distance sailed, I carry a GPS.

1 Should have stayed home: less than 5 miles
2 Borderline, but only with a short drive: 5-10 miles
3 OK, but could be better: 10-20 miles
4 Good session, worth the drive: 20-25 miles
5 Outstanding session: 25+ miles

Flat water sailing, lake or OBX. Drive to the lake = 20 mins. Drive to the OBX = 7-8 hrs. round trip.

Other than wind, fitness and fatigue usually are the determining factors on distance. I record all my outings and I see that last year in June I had a 32 mile day, plus a half dozen 35 mile days in the last few years and one 38 mile day three years ago. Early this month, two excellent days at the OBX = 53 miles. 4.5, 5.2 and 6.4 sails.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Other than wind, fitness and fatigue usually are the determining factors on distance.

Nutrition, overall and on the day of sailing, makes a HUGE, maybe phenomenal, difference.
nw30

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkdum, the various level of being skunked ~

Phantom skunked: not really skunked, you arrive, it looks like shit, you do nothing but go home knowing exactly what you're missing.

Level 1 skunked: looks pretty good, you get out there but soon the winds shuts down, at least you got wet.

Level 2 skunked: looks pretty good, so you rig up but the wind dies before you put on your wetsuit.

Level 3 skunked: the worst, looks pretty good, you rig up, you put on your wetsuit, you make it all the way to the water's edge, just as it shuts off, didn't even get wet, other than sweat inside your wetsuit. Not only did you get skunked, but now you're pissed off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: