myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Effort vs No Effort holding my Windfoil Sail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burtlundak

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Effort vs No Effort holding my Windfoil Sail Reply with quote

I'm up and flying but often need to unhook to handle gusty winds(17-18 mph with gusts to 23 using 5.5 sail. When unhooked I often need to use enough effort on the boom that my rides are limited by my arm strength. At times the sail becomes effortless for a short time but I don't know why. I would like to know how to keep the sail in this almost effortless position. Front foot in the strap and back foot at center of board. Exocet RF81 with 2018 Slingshot foil in back position. I also use a 5.0 sail and have the same result. Sails are standard Ezzy windsurf sails. Am I the only beginner feeling like my progress is on the SLOW side?
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out yesterday on a 5.7, 84 Infinity wing forward wing position, it would go from 12knts to 23knts, gusty! Couple things that work for me:

1) To maintain steady flight, Your Head and front hip, should be positioned over your front foot, body position forward to help maintain steady flight and not foil out in the gusts.

2) Get long harness lines, really long, so that you can stay hooked in but sheet out in the gusts and still have some leverage over the sail.

3) When the gusts hit, sheet out with the occasional pull of the back hand to just feed enough power to keep going. The sail should feel light at this point and the backhand shouldn't have to muscle the sail, remember you don't need a lot of power once on foil.

It's a great feeling to foil! I'm no expert as I'm still learning but the above seems to work for me. Have fun!

DC
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller sail?
In those winds, I'd ride a 5 meter sail and 80 liter board!
For a Naish foil, 3.7 sail would be too much.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all learning what works best for our winds, different foils and boards.
I read every post about foiling for input from every one learning this crazy sport. My time on the water has really increased because of foiling. Now I hope for steady 12 to 15 for foiling or 20 plus for windsurfing. I have sold most of my big windsurfing gear to get foiling stuff. I'm still a windsurfer first but after 35 years into it, its fun to have a new challenge on the water.
I am 165 lbs. have the same foil but different board. In your stated wind range I would be on a 4.7 sail. Think smallest sail that you can get up in the gust. Once up on the foil it takes very little to keep the foil flying. That's when you feel no pull in the sail. If your rigged to big you will be out of control in the gusts and well powered in the lulls and the sail pull never goes away. Rig small bear off wind and pump your sail and board for early take off. I don't use longer lines but its something I might try after the above post. I foil on a gutsy lake and one trick I use is if I'm way over powered in a gust, I get all my weight forward to bring the board down in to windsurf mode until I'm thru the gust then fly the board back up. You can really make up wind distance in that mode. I try to stay in the harness as much as I can. Its pretty tuff if your over powered and out of control. If I do hit a lull I get out so I can pump thru the lull if needed. keep us posted...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep maybe even a 4.2 for me. Depends how often the big gusts come in. The more I foil the more my low wind flight improves as well as my high wind control. Just like windsurfing..Who knew
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how long harness lines help one sheet out, because with long lines, our arms are already extended fully. Shorter lines (and a roller bar) leave us wiggle room for increasing or decreasing sheeting angle at any instant.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, like others have said here, try a smaller sail. at 190lbs on the Slingshot Wizard 125 & Infinity 76 wing, I'm happily on a 4.0 or smaller in those conditions or even a 3.7
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
kmf

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last foiling I did, a week ago, the wind was averaging 20-22 and I used a 3.7...could have used a 3.4 as I had to arm wrestle the sail in the gusts...I weigh 155', using a LP foil.

KMF
outcast

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortened boom grip, both hands closer to the boom-head is working for me, but that's more like 4.5-5.0 country.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long lines, set more forward. I like a lower boom for foiling and it takes quite a dip to hook in.
Also I'd be on a ~4.0 at 180lbs in 20kts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: