myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Effort vs No Effort holding my Windfoil Sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule of thumb:

To figure out approximately what sail size to use for windfoiling, multiply the sail size you would use for normal shortboarding in that wind strength by 0.72.

For example, if you would be using a 6.6 for normal shortboarding in that wind strength, use a 4.7 for foiling. If you would be using a 5.5, use a 4.0. Etc.

I'll update my sail calculator with this soon.

SergioKapul

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Effort vs No Effort holding my Windfoil Sail Reply with quote

burtlundak wrote:
I'm up and flying but often need to unhook to handle gusty winds(17-18 mph with gusts to 23 using 5.5 sail. When unhooked I often need to use enough effort on the boom that my rides are limited by my arm strength. At times the sail becomes effortless for a short time but I don't know why. I would like to know how to keep the sail in this almost effortless position. Front foot in the strap and back foot at center of board. Exocet RF81 with 2018 Slingshot foil in back position. I also use a 5.0 sail and have the same result. Sails are standard Ezzy windsurf sails. Am I the only beginner feeling like my progress is on the SLOW side?

2 points, if you not using race foil and race sail,, pick the smallest, lightest and responsive sail you have to get you flying. Second, use harness lines only as an optional feature for emergencies or can just leave harness in the car. Against, race foils+race sail is a different style, a lot closer to formula windsurfing
burtlundak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Holding the boom closer to the mast Reply with quote

I found that holding the boom closer to the mast gave me more control. I don't know if my body position was moved forward but the gusts were much less of a concern. Seems like it helped take the pressure off my arms. Thank you for all the ideas.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Holding the boom closer to the mast Reply with quote

burtlundak wrote:
I found that holding the boom closer to the mast gave me more control. I don't know if my body position was moved forward but the gusts were much less of a concern. Seems like it helped take the pressure off my arms. Thank you for all the ideas.

This is how I ride as well. Combined with forward positioned/longer lines.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular windsurf boom height [freeride], regular length lines 4" forwards works for me with a seat harness.
Hands about 4" forwards from windsurfing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: