myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Recommendations: emergency location/communication methods?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmilovich

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Recommendations: emergency location/communication methods? Reply with quote

Need your good help and suggestions, please.

Have a daughter and boyfriend that are sailing Coyote Point and similar spots more frequently and in more conditions. What would y'all recommend as reliable, useful devices/equipment for communicating or signalling when you've broken down or are otherwise in need of help?

I know about self-rescue techniques, life vests, marine flares, all the stuff we inland sailors have some clue about. But what happens when you're separated, or injured and can't do that? I've read reports of people using VHF radios.

Can anyone make recommendations of device types, models, brands, other gear and how best to carry the same? Thanks in advance.
Scharlack

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In truly challenging conditions, don't depend on technology. Always have 3 people. Allen always has visual contact with Bob. Bob always has visual contact with Susan. Susan always has visual contact with Allen. So there's overlap.

If Allen gets injured or breaks down, another person STAYS WITH Allen while the 3rd person goes for help/spare parts.
A float plan left with a friend on spouse, including sail/board/wetsuit color, location, and expected time of return is always a good idea too. And let you sailing buddies know where you stash your key so they can grab needed spare parts.
bert

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a flip phone stashed in a waterproof pouch saved my ass on 2 occasions..am I the only one that still carries one? Embarassed
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's a flip phone Very Happy

when i was in trouble in May 2018, I was alone and no communication devices
spent 2 hours in cold water until I was rescued by a zodiac
mild hypothermia - 3 hot showers + hot tea to recover

so, the question is definitely a good one !!

wear a flotation device to start
phone in waterproof pouch is a good option - mine was in the van
who to call tho ? one time marina called police
they showed up in a cruiser $%^&*(
others suggest a VHF - seems one needs a course first ??
the day I was in trouble, there were NO boats on the water
however, Marina was NOT far

let us know what you decide and what works best
safety is primary concern in our sport
many sail alone !!
bert

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any phone, even an old inactive one in a waterproof pouch is good insurance. The FCC mandates that all 911 calls go thru and you would be surprised how good the signal is on the water. They may even locate your location via GPS. I prefer the flip phone because it's compact,cheap and I'm old school. Shit..I still listen to 60's music on my 8 track in my van Wink
lturkevich

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check out this forum for more details.

If you're looking for something more "substantial", that forum seems to suggest a Personal Locator Beacon like the ResQlink or RescueMe (I personally don't know about either device)
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phone, double waterproof baggie, inside your wetsuit near your chest, as anywhere outside can be lost or ripped off your body.
Ray of Bolinas called Alameda CG from 17 miles W of Stinson and got a heli in 40 minutes. They didn't save the rig, only the person.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my waterproof bag looks like this with a strap
will NOT come off - choke you maybe , but ... Smile

carl

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light weight small VHF radio, preferably waterproof. Coast Guard always monitors channel 16, many boats do too.
Radios can be bought at most marine boating equipment stores like West Marine for less than $200.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every waterproof cell phone pouch I’ve used has eventually leaked (including the higher end aquapacs) and subsequently ruined the phone. They can also make the screen hard to read or control (touch screen).

A waterproof VHF might not be a bad idea, but they are somewhat bulky.

I think sailing in a group is always a good idea when possible, but I would not expect that other windsurfers will be able to spot a downed windsurfer from the water - at least not on a big day. But they will be able to notify the police/CG if you do go missing.

Filing a float plan with someone reliable on shore (where you’re sailing and when you expect to be back), checking your equipment regularly, wearing appropriate gear for extended immersion, not sailing in conditions that are well beyond your capabilities, and not sailing out farther than you’re willing to swim back are all tried-and-true steps to take to help keep yourself safe.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: