myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Recommendations: emergency location/communication methods?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing the truth and the gospel
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching on VHF will produce >200 posts.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations: emergency location/communication methods? Reply with quote

dmilovich wrote:

Can anyone make recommendations of device types, models, brands, other gear and how best to carry the same? Thanks in advance.

The best is a device that will get in contact with the coast guard and pinpoint your location. That is a GPS/VHF iike the Cobra MR Floating GPS VHF Radio MR HH600 (around $180 on Amazon). The GPS is essential because in general you are not able to indicate your location on the water and in a place like Coyote a search can take a looong time.

The alternative is a personal satellite locator beacon. I have been using a Garmin Inreach Mini for backpacking and I am now bringing it with me windsurfing. This is much easier to use than a VHF: you push the button and it will get you the Coast Guard. The disadvantage is that you cannot talk, it can only text.

I would not suggest to use a cell phone. It fails at both requirements (contact with the coast Guard and locating you) plus reception coverage is NOT guaranteed and you might end up not being able to call anybody ...
SAS

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider the Nautilus Lifeline. It's a marine VHF radio and rescue beacon all in one. It's marketed primarily to scuba divers, but would work for you. It is waterproof to 425 feet deep.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: I have one of these - not need to use it yet Reply with quote

I have one of these - have not had to use it yet. Cost is around $200 with cheap sim - only kept for emergencies. So far it is fine with regular time underwater.

screenshot_3584.png
 Description:
RugGear Outdoor Handphone RG100 Durable Waterproof Cellphone Travel
 Filesize:  82.11 KB
 Viewed:  15455 Time(s)

screenshot_3584.png

dvCali

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: I have one of these - not need to use it yet Reply with quote

wernerhickey wrote:
I have one of these - have not had to use it yet. Cost is around $200 with cheap sim - only kept for emergencies. So far it is fine with regular time underwater.

Not to insist but the problem with cell phones is coverage. Even in the Bay Area there are plenty spots where there is no coverage (for example China Camp, or Point Reyes), and coverage depends on your provider.

I have no idea what is the coverage of a cell phone on our waters but I would not be surprised if there was none in the middle of the Bay (say outside markers at Coyote) or outside of the Golden Gate bridge.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would agree a phone would be useless under those circumstances - where I am, no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: