myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do you bail off your foil board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, great pic! Foil on the loose!

Mike, I had my first two foil sessions on the 61cm mast. It was good for a start, but I then moved up to the 76cm mast which gave me a lot more room for up-down without as much risk of breaching. After six sessions on that mast I moved up to the 90cm which was even better. Sure, with the longer mast the crashes are more dramatic, but there is much less chance of a nose dive!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanging on to the boom is often a good idea, but not always. Some beginner crashes are when the board tilts to one side. Andy Brandt's now advises to "fall with the board": if the board tilts to windward, fall to windward. Fall in the direction away from the foil! I've had a bunch of crashes where I jumped to make sure I was far enough away. The foil setup seems to drift away more slowly than a regular board, so getting back to the gear does not seem to be an issue, at least not in the lighter winds were foiling makes most sense.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer the mast the less chance you'll crash. The 90cm is easier to rude than the short ones which I'd only use if depth is an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: