myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sensor at Dougs Beach and calibration...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barrilles

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Sensor at Dougs Beach and calibration... Reply with quote

A few weeks ago I went windfoiling at Dougs at 15 mph average sensor reading and then this week 17 mph. The difference was - couldn't make a 5.2 work at 15 and was overpowered on a 4.7 at 17mph. Of course we all know wind direction means a lot at Dougs but both days were light wind near Dougs beach and heavier on the oregon side - presumably a more northly flow.

So what is the vast difference in the wind power vs the average readings? Yes, both days the strongest wind was in the middle or the river as always. But I could not figure out a difference between the two days, other than 2 mph average on the sensor. Making a 0.5+ difference in sail size.

Experience, or alternatively, thoughts are welcome!
vientomas

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you making rigging decisions based upon the wind meter readings or based upon your observation of the actual conditions? I use the meter readings to decide when to leave the house to travel to a launch. Once I arrive at the launch, I use the actual conditions I observe to make rigging decisions.

I think you have correctly identified the nature of the situation: Conditions from day to day are variable and not well represented by a single metric - wind speed at a fixed location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: