myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Multi fin selection for onshore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Twins turn like a single, off the rail curve, rocker, footplacement, and fin [s].
When all the factors are added together, you can make any config work almost the same.
There are 4 fin guns.
There are single fin tiny wave boards.

This post is nothing but generalities . No way a single can perform like Tri

windsurf boards are very different to surfboards so what is working on A surfboard may not translate quite so well to a windsurfer, particularly when it is not actually on a wave and going upwind which is a lot of the time.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your surfboard and windsurf experience can tell you everything you need to know, especially about wings, rocker and curves.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
I used to have the LS Quad 95, then the Cube 98 and now the Cube 95. Steve Thorpe's advice sounds good, as the LS Quad did not like big front fins. I ended up swapping the 9 cm front fins it came with for 8 cm front fins on the advice of Pascal from Quatro, and preferred the smaller front fins. I never tried it as a twin fin, but the current Cube 95 is great in light conditions (5.2 or 5.5) as a twin with 16.5 cm rear fins. For anything less than 5.2, I prefer it as a quad.

Care to contrast the Quad vs twin feel? What conditions (onshore?)?
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you saw my FAQ subject on multi-fins: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/

Quad = Twin+Grip.
Quad (compare to twin) = lower on the water, more control, less top speed, sliding more progressive, possible more low end traction, not sure about upwind angle (I'd say maybe more but the twin may compensate being faster).

capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
capetonian wrote:
I used to have the LS Quad 95, then the Cube 98 and now the Cube 95. Steve Thorpe's advice sounds good, as the LS Quad did not like big front fins. I ended up swapping the 9 cm front fins it came with for 8 cm front fins on the advice of Pascal from Quatro, and preferred the smaller front fins. I never tried it as a twin fin, but the current Cube 95 is great in light conditions (5.2 or 5.5) as a twin with 16.5 cm rear fins. For anything less than 5.2, I prefer it as a quad.

Care to contrast the Quad vs twin feel? What conditions (onshore?)?

I mainly sail in cross onshore to cross shore conditions with this board. For closer to straight onshore conditions I prefer my FSW board.

As a twin the Cube reacts faster/turns easier, which allows for very rounded C shape turns (e.g. heading more vertically back up the wave). The negative is that the twin is easier to slide out on the top turn than the quad set up. So big spray turns are harder (for those fast banking open shoulder spray turns nothing beats a thruster). In overpowered & choppy conditions I find that the twin setup can "lose it" on a bottom turn easier than the quad set up. I don't like twin set ups in over powered conditions.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the very small fronts kind of moderate it without losing much speed or the overall character? Sounds like the twin might jump a little better being higher out of the water.
Our "good" days are all cross/cross-on.

Are those 16.5cm the stock rears?
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, small fronts (a twin with safety grip) make it easier to recover mistakes or water state imperfections. The faster things go the more it makes sense.
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sailing shadow is usually on a tri and me on 1 fin. Performance is basically the same even when we switch boards. Isn't the multi fin craze more of a fad or marketing strategy? Sure complicates things???
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criteria.
Emphasis on wave face turns favor multis.
Straight line and long smooth turns single
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quatro in question should be. a 2011 or 12. It’s amoung the first production cobra built Quads.
At its introduction Quatro had 2 twins, the Tempo and Rhythm. After Review of the original Quatro specs what the board is supposed to do, etc, I found no mention that it’s recommended as a twin.

The OP questions relate not to a single , nor tri, nor twin.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: