myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling windsup crossover
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Foiling windsup crossover Reply with quote

My old formula board works fine as a platform for my Slingshot foil, but I'm curious about trying SUP foiling for surfing small waves and downwinding, and I think the formula board is too wide with the finbox too far back for that.

I'm looking at a couple of boards on the market that might work for my desired purposes. I'm also considering butchering an older 10'4 Angulo Windsup that I've already modified somewhat, but I think the chances of me getting that project right are kind of low, and it would likely make the board less usable in normal sail and paddle modes.

Does anybody have experience with any of these two boards?

Naish Crossover (224x76 cm and 120 liters, and 224x81 and 140 liters)
https://www.naishfoils.com/product/hover-crossover/

Exocet WindSUP ride (272x72 cm and 144 liters)
https://www.exocet-original.com/en/windsup-ride-8-11.php

How well do they work in their various modes? (Regular windsurfing, regular SUP, foil windsurfing, foil SUP)

grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wind foiled the smaller Naish and it was quite nice.

The Exocet I think you'll find awkward to foil because of the length also IMHO the track system is far superior to DT unless you are racing.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2019 Naish 122 Hover windsurf foil board. Just got it 7/25 for 500 off
because the 2020 boards just came out. Seems a bit small for 122 but easy up haul. Fit and finish is great. The abracadabra plate is excellent as is the adjustable foil track. I assume the same would be true of the hover cross boards.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might depend on your skill, size, and what percentage of which.
At 160, novice paddler, 73 is kinda narrow, especially in chop with thin rails.
Easy windfoil sizing.
Prolly easier windsup sizing no straps.
Certainly advanced sup surf sizing.
Naish 122 Hover also.
Oh, only dedicated windfoil with tail rocker and needs 2 8+" fins to windsurf and snaller for pure surf.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get the pedestal adapter for your foil, and put a couple of US boxes in the Angulo in front of the current boxes. That should not affect its use for paddling too much. If it works for foiling but you find the long nose bothersome, you could chop if off later.

There have been times where I wished for a longer board with just a bit more board speed when foiling. The old Warp 71 that I bought from you years ago slogs at 4-5 knots, just a bit below the take-off speed. A longer board like the Slingshot Flyer 280 that slogs a bit faster could make the transition to foiling in marginal conditions a bit smoother. Should be easy enough for you to figure out what the speed of the Angulo is when you're sailing it in your typical conditions. If it's 6 knots or above, I'd try the conversion.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with long boards for foiling.
Foil is moved under your feet in slogging position, so nose is not long AND you don't need to move back to footstrap position. Best of all worlds.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I know with a Flyer 280 says it's awkward and debatable on whether it gets going sooner. It doesn't slog faster though and perhaps in very light steady conditions could be a good option.

I'd still consider take the nose off the Angulo unless you really enjoy it as is.

Also if you are going to install tracks I'd get the drop in double sets already set in ABS foam.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might consider sticking a foil track 1/3 up from the tail of my Fly 9'6".
It's light at 20 lbs for it's 80 width and 150 liters.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
The guy I know with a Flyer 280 says it's awkward and debatable on whether it gets going sooner. It doesn't slog faster though and perhaps in very light steady conditions could be a good option.

I assume you meant to write "it does slog faster"? Because it's not really a contest compared to any shortboard or a Wizard 125. The Flyer 280 has a "funny" race-SUP like nose which gives it a waterline length that's darn close to the board length. To get it to foil sooner, you'll need feeling instead of raw strength, since it offers a lot less resistance to pumping, and converts pumps to speed very easily. Even a bit too easily for me - I missed the usual resistance when pumping it.

As for board speed for the Flyer, Andy Brandt gave a nice demonstration last year at the ECWF Hatteras, when he left almost everyone in the dust, including longboard racers with a bit of experience on Equipe 2s and Windsurfer LTs. The only one who beat him in just about every race was a woman on an Ultra Cat that was about 50 lb lighter than him, but had a much more powerful raceboard sail (while he had a freeride sail of similar size).
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typo on my part.

Yes it slogs faster. Doesn't foil as well though, at least not for the person I know who owns one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: