myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Infinity 76 wing first thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
Yesterday in 10-15 knots in B position with the same setup as my previous post(jp135 and 7.5 sail). I should have been on a way smaller sail and maybe even tested out A postion, which seems to be under controversy right now. I was getting way too much lift. Even when all of my weight was on the front foot and I was sheated out. I even tried putting my front foot in front of the front strap and my back foot in between the two straps and it was tricking and probably not designed to be sailed that way, I like having my feet in at least one strap.

That might be a good combo for powered racing (and heavier guys) who can keep the sail sheeted in all the time. It took me a few sessions to learn to sheet in in gusts and when fully powered to keep the nose down. The natural response of sheeting out really does not work on a foil.

atlas.wave55 wrote:

I need to seriously think about getting a smaller sail, anything over 10 knots on my 7.5 seems too much for my helium bones.

No need to think. If the 7.5 is your smallest sail, you must get a smaller sail. Does not need to be a new one.
sl55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge thanks Boardsurfer for the link to QSG! I could not find it on SS website for the love of God.
I was not impressed with the blue SS wing when i first bought it and pretty soon switched to Starboard Race setup. SS was up for sale until the Isthmus guys told me to try the Infinity wing. And this wing is definitely a game changer. I actually bought an 84 in addition to 76 to cover the lightest breezes.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
Yesterday in 10-15 knots in B position with the same setup as my previous post(jp135 and 7.5 sail). I should have been on a way smaller sail and maybe even tested out A postion, which seems to be under controversy right now. I was getting way too much lift. Even when all of my weight was on the front foot and I was sheated out. I even tried putting my front foot in front of the front strap and my back foot in between the two straps and it was tricking and probably not designed to be sailed that way, I like having my feet in at least one strap.
I need to seriously think about getting a smaller sail, anything over 10 knots on my 7.5 seems too much for my helium bones.

Our most experienced (200 days on it) local windfoiler uses his 4.5 in those conditions and never misses a jibe.

He demands that I use the B position, despite the Slingshot manual's advice to "Start with position A (directly through the
front wing). That will be the most natural,
user-friendly position"
) and assembly videos insisting that there's almost no reason to use B or C.

Every source I've found recommends removing the back straps, at least until experience tells us where we want them. I may put mine back on sooner if I think they may help me stay on the board during my learning stage touchdowns.
jmcilhiney

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear A position with mast directly above wing works best with levitator 160 for me. I read all the info on line and started on B position and it didn't work. Haven't tried C yet.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2018 has all 3 positions and "B" was recommended to start but you should progress to "C" quickly. Perhaps on a foil specific board that works but with a normal one only "C" works well. "A" is for SUP or kiting.

Honestly the slingshot learning advice is foolish (short mast, wrong wing position) since it's just making the foil harder to use but with slightly less consequences.
The exception to that is leaving off the back straps, pretty much everyone agrees with that.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
It took me a few sessions to learn to sheet in in gusts and when fully powered to keep the nose down. The natural response of sheeting out really does not work on a foil.

The dude with 200 days of foiling told me never to sheet in or out like we do when windsurfing, instead to push the whole rig (both hands) away when we get tempted to sheet out. (Our natural response to gusts when windsurfing should be sheeting in anyway.)
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
You run the bigger wing further forward Kevin?
H2 in any position but C is a back leg burner. But I like a narrow stance, rear foot in front of the straps, when foiling.

yes, I run the Infinity 84 wing further forward than the Infinity 76 wing.

Keep in mind that all my settings are using the Slingshot Wizard 125 board. Putting the same foil on a non-slingshot board might change the geometry and could require the wing to be mounted in a different position.

The larger Infinity 84 wing has no "neck". if you look at all the other wings, there is a neck/extension that protrudes from the trailing edge. If you line up the mounting holes for the 76 and 84 wings, you can see that the thickest part of the wing is further back on the big wing b/c of the lack of neck... that's why i push it forward by using the "C" position mounting.

Also of note, when changing from B to C position, you actually have to take both the front and rear wings off and rotate the fuselage 180 degrees.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slingshot fuselage position preference are like a$$holes...everyone has one!

I go B for infinity 84, 76 and Time Code 68. Works like magic.

https://youtu.be/G2q0Dn8JRz8

marc5

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Slingshot has created confusion regarding wing position with their own language. When they say "mast forward position," (position A), I think most people would describe this as wing aft position. It's sort of a frame of reference thing. If you were moving your fin aft on your regular board, you wouldn't say "board forward position," would you?

Slingshot, you make great products. Please work on your manuals and language.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc5 wrote:
Slingshot, please work on your manuals and language.

My 2019 SS Infinity assembly manual is crystal clear: screw the foil mast into the front wing and (here is where it is less specific) pretty much leave it there unless we get good enough (and desire) to move the fuselage from user-friendly "A" to a more hyper position further forward. One of the most insistent "B" position advocates has not even sailed a windfoil, reinforcing
What CoreAS wrote:
Slingshot fuselage position preference are like a$$holes...everyone has one!

Until I am good enough to decide for myself and/or someone up and hands me the spare time to experiment, I'm going with the strong advice of SS, Wyatt Miller, and the most detailed Infinity assembly video I can find and stick with "A" for now. "User-friendly" sounds logical until I have some clue how these things work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: