myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Infinity 76 wing first thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Uphauling requires far less balance than any gybe, so what I'm hearing are excuses for why you need to rig incorrectly which is impeding your learning process.

Says someone with good balance. I fall over just walking in knee deep water if I look at the water, or glancing at my mail while walking up my driveway. Walking down a dimly lit hallway is a series of caroms off the walls. That's not an excuse; it's a reason, and is grounds for disability and for being told to use a walker full time by every doctor and PT I consult about anything. It's one reason I prefer extremely fast, tight jibes instead of these 100-foot to 100-yard, 180-degree cruises so many people recommend.

It compares to the videos we see of extremely drunk people trying to perform sobriety checks. I can't take one step heel to toe, for example, without toppling, even in a brightly lighted doctor's office. It's a debilitating, dangerous medical issue with several explicit, known, untreatable causes documented in my records, not just an inconvenience.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad foiling is closer to yoga than to football.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how clumsy one's foiling is.. Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balance is KEY for good foiling.
The best are freestylers who trick skateboard, it seems.
Subtle constant non stop SMALL movements.
Like TRIALS riders compared to motocrossers.
Like tube riders compared to vert slashers.
Like Miraslov Mecir vs Johan Kriek.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Balance is KEY for good foiling.

I've asked several typical Gorge swell riders -- the windsurfers who luff their sails and just surf the swells under gravity power for hundreds of downwind yards at a time -- what skill counts most. Their unanimous answer centers on one absolute requirement: good, solid balance.

No wonder it's beyond me. I go downwind, all right, but it's under full power, not idling, using the powered-up rig as my walker.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's sad we will never really get it.
Don't feel bad, we can windsurf powered up.
And ride an open class mx bike pretty fast.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Yeah, it's sad we will never really get it.
Don't feel bad, we can windsurf powered up.
And ride an open class mx bike pretty fast.

As you're implying, none of us should mind not being able to, proficient at, convenient to, or interested in various aspects of one sport or another. We can't do 'em all in one lifetime. The only thing I would change about my WSing history is finding or making the time and access to true DTL wave sailing. OTOH, even that has downsides, some of which are the very reasons I settle for imitation DTL sailing.

I can't imagine any better dirt biking than Utah, where I rode many days each week in incredible terrain and scenery, often with the top riders in the state. That's not even counting its skiing and snowmobiling. A wise older bud who has built his life around comparable thrill rides said to me, "You know, you've had so damned much fun that you could just abandon the drugs that are extending your life, sail your ass off in the moment, and accept the tradeoff. You'd still come out way ahead of the masses."

So DAMNED glad I optimized my career and retirement locations based on my sports and retired so early. I haven't lost any sleep over missing out on more meetings, crappy bosses, higher titles on my office door, assignment to the Pentagon or any big city, or a few more bucks in the bank.

My interest in these threads centers around trying to evaluate and reduce the time and effort I take away from windsurfing to devote to the potentially unproductive pursuit of windfoiling. After all, it LOOKS boring as hell once we get proficient at it.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last paragraph is what I mentioned months ago..foiling looks boring once you get proficient.
We don't race anymore.
To further foiling skills, risk is added.
OTOH, foiling along clean when the lightest we can windsurf is 5-12 mph more wind is still fun.
That's why I foil...to get out in 6-16 mph breezes and have something to look forward to....
But I gotta get proficient first.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proficient eludes me again...
Horrid 1-4 lulls up to 2 minutes followed by 3-10 seconds of 10-18 mph puffs.
Out for combined 2 hours, get to try 4 foiling jibes.
Fail. Darn feet clumsy.
Start and get around to downwind or just past, those clumsy feet just won't move with grace and lightness so touchdown 3 times and 1 crash.
I never could dance, do balance yoga, or move with grace and precision.
Just a clumsy old blockhead.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't THAT encouraging? Smile

OTOH, I'm not here for empty encouragement (I hate it when doctors or other patients tell terminal cancer patients "You'll be fine".) I'm here for facts, tips, etc., and am getting lots of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 19 of 24

Jump to: