myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is this what we pay for?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So because puttying over a cracked laminate likely won't show up within the warranty period it's considered an acceptable construction practice?
I see why people avoid Cobra built stuff now, or else cycle through it before the flaws become obvious. Was the gear always this crap?

I'm finding the side conversation in favor of a stubby shape quite interesting given how divisive opinions on them usually are, feel free to carry on.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a conversation about stubby shapes. The Blast happens to be a stubby, but the other boards I mentioned which seem to be "comparably great" new designs (Severne Fox and Windtech) are not. Those are just examples, I'm sure there are other great (and many not so great) new shapes out there.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I see why people avoid Cobra built stuff now, or else cycle through it before the flaws become obvious. Was the gear always this crap?

You have had bad luck with a board you bought second hand, and conclude that all Cobra-built boards are badly constructed? Sir, you are jumping to conclusions!

If you look at Amazon reviews for any product, you will always see at least 4-5% one-star reviews, even if 90% of all buyers give 5 stars (the only exception are products with few and/or entirely fake reviews). Even great products from good manufacturers sometime arrive damaged or break after very little use.

I have a number of Cobra-built boards. One pretty much died of heavy use - EPS core crush delamination. There was no building flaw I could see when opening it up (and I ended up removing a lot of the top!).

I have another board that's about as old with similar use, but has held up a lot better. It is also several pounds heavier. Sturdier construction, longer life. No surprise. But manufacturers have often been criticized when their boards were a pound heavier than the competition. If you choose the lightest board, don't be surprised if there's not enough epoxy in it to last!

It looks like your board got damaged during construction. Sh*t happens. A proper repair should have been easy enough, but how does adding a glass patch and then sanding and fairing it fit into the production process? Realistically, the options were to either (a) fix the dent with fairing compound, or (b) to toss the laminated core, which probably has a value of one or two weekly salaries of the guys working on it. No surprise they chose (a).

It's bad luck you ended up with it. Not too bad, though, since it seems you have the skills to fix it. What bugs me more than bad luck with a "Monday" board is if the design and specs have clear flaws. Insisting on unrealistically light weights that mean boards will have to delaminate early is one example. Another one that bugs me a lot are fancy footpads. Maybe it looks "sooo cooool" to have a few colored striped in a white pad. But definitely, those strips will come off sooner or later, and the pads will start to disintegrate. I've got plenty of examples in my garage and van.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have taken 5 minutes to fix this at the factory. I guess I just want to get decent workmanship when I buy something.

So given this is the standard at Cobra I really doubt I'll be buying anything except junkers from there and expect I'll need to fix their flaws, hopefully before too much water finds its way in.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big part of growing up is learning from your mistakes.
Now, 1 for 1, every board you get from them will be flawed and fit only for the fireplace.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
So because puttying over a cracked laminate likely won't show up within the warranty period it's considered an acceptable construction practice?

I'm finding the side conversation in favor of a stubby shape quite interesting given how divisive opinions on them usually are, feel free to carry on.

From the photos contained in the original post, it’s not cracked, it has a gouge , according to you it was repaired with putty, instead of Gorilla Glue

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezz...I have owned lots of Cobra built boards and never had a workmanship problem with any of them.
I have two in the garage now, and one is four years old and one is 10 years old. No problems, no repairs, both work great.
(RRD FSW, RRD Wave Cult. )
I just sold a 10 year old JP FSW 102 which is still going strong, and also a 10 year old Tommen 95, whose decals were falling off but the board was still intact and tight.

KMF
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! Apart from possible construction faults which experience has shown some Cobra built boards once had (The early Phantom longboard race boards only lasting a season before serious failings, long since cured as the older longboard construction techniques were re- learnt) the sensitivity with which owners use their boards, the lighter ones in particular, must surely affect their durability?

Pounding at speed over hefty chop, and landing hops, makes me cringe and I always do whatever can be done (light on feet, angling board etc) to minimise the shock waves going through the board. Being lighter myself, also helps.

Others I know take the opposite view and insist that if the boards can't take the punishment they are not fit for purpose! It doesn't seem to end well for some of them. (Guarantee claims.) I would think that, as with most things, constant stressing of the structure must lead to failure, and those who do their best to minimise those stresses will enjoy the longest lasting boards.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This wasn't damage from use or handling. It was a gouge through the deck laminate sometime between glassing and painting which was fixed by just filling with putty. A 10 second fix rather than a 5 minute fix.
I could see using epoxy and microballons, preferably actual glass cloth to tie the laminate back together. But the putty just has no strength and it's a very high impact area no matter how nicely you treat the equipment.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the real world of manufacturing.

Now get over it and stop whimpering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: