myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Eddy a Squatter or Did He Buy Property?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Is Eddy a Squatter or Did He Buy Property? Reply with quote

Is it just me or does it seem like Eddy is a permanent fixture this season?

I do recall the occasional appearance of Eddy over the years but this year every week is this Eddy and that Eddy.

Or does iwind have some new fangled Eddy tracking technology?

Inquiring minds...

P.S. For your post cast - PI was lit today.

windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wndzrfr,

The eddy used to happen a couple of times per summer. And the classic marine surge that ended heatwaves used to be more common. Now the eddy pattern is becoming more common each passing year. It is especially common this year because El Nino moves the average storm track more southward causing the "kink" you see in the North Pacific High's isobars that makes our ocean wind more NNW so eddies are more likely.

But ultimately, even without an El Nino, it looks like the eddy will stay somewhat more common in the future. This is because the upper troughs and ridges that steer surface features like the NPH are making greater and longer lasting excursion southward and northward. That is why polar regions have been so warm recently and why the eddy is lingering. It is also why our weather, in general, gets "stuck" in wet or dry or cold etc. patterns more often these days.

Today I forecast upper-teens for Pt. Isabel with stronger wind towards Brook's Island. I am always happy to see winds stronger than forecast... not so for weaker.

At all sites I don't try to forecast the strongest winds to be found near a site. But rather the winds that people can easily get to. So if I forecast upper-teens to weak low 20's at Crissy you should expect weaker winds near shore and stronger winds towards the north tower. I long ago that if I forecast the strongest winds to be found near a launch site I would get complaints that the wind was weaker near shore and people could not get to the forecast wind.

Did you notice the Pt. Isabel sensor showed a fade 4-5 PM per forecast? Of course, the winds outside kept blowing but I try to forecast these fades since so many time I had to make the long Pt. Isabel slog back to shore when the winds past Brook's Island were too tempting.

Hey, Dllee there should still be WSW wind at Pt. Isabel tomorrow but it is likely to turn WNW and fade unless you get there early. (if I am right)

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got a smokin’ deal on Malibu property...
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
5.0 and 85 liter Naish Freeride waay powered at Berk, gusts over 25 but Westerly meaning long slogs and starboard jumps.
Maybe it will blow under 21 so I can foil.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's parked at Crissy. Right next to all the homeless people who have taken up permanent residence in their RVs.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
He's parked at Crissy. Right next to all the homeless people who have taken up permanent residence in their RVs.
Their fires should get a good thermal going...just watch for poop and needles!
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Live Eddy!

Must admit Mr. Eddy sure has given us an awesome June in the East Bay and he keeps on giving!

Ok I'm game, what is this new location in the forecast: "Brook's Island's Oreo Cookie Beach"? I've been sailing in the Bay Area for 44 yrs and this is the first time I've heard this name.

windfind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNDZRFR wrote:
Long Live Eddy!

Must admit Mr. Eddy sure has given us an awesome June in the East Bay and he keeps on giving!

Ok I'm game, what is this new location in the forecast: "Brook's Island's Oreo Cookie Beach"? I've been sailing in the Bay Area for 44 yrs and this is the first time I've heard this name.

Hi WNDZRFR,

Sorry for the Brooks Island esoterica, I just could not resist.

Many years ago when Brook's Island had very friendly caretaker we used to land on the west side of island on rocky "beach" just inside the point. Then hike to the top of the island to enjoy the amazing views and to learn about the wind curving patterns from the Olympic Circle.

On one such day someone, perhaps the caretaker's girlfriend, left a unopened box of Oreo cookies on a large boulder at the beach which we assumed was for us. From that day on the small group of Marin sailors who launched at "Marina Bay" stairs called that location Oreo Cookie Beach.

These days the cookie box would be a boobytrapped sting operation and we would be arrested.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

Pt. IsabelSailing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.23 KB
 Viewed:  24893 Time(s)

Pt. IsabelSailing.jpg

WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that explains it. Here I am looking for black & white rocks when I should have been looking for Oreos!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: