myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foiling on a gusty day at the lake
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
My typical top speeds on the Infinity 76 wing are shit- only around 15-16 knots even when I feel nicely powered. The "25 knots" Slingshot lists for the foil seems unrealistic, but maybe there is some technique or tuning for high-speed reaching that I haven't figured out yet. I'd be interested in seeing the GPS tracks of somebody who is getting significantly faster speeds on it.

That said, the foil still sails circles around other windsurfing gear in light wind conditions and when upwind/downwind is involved, so the "speed is not all about top end" comment rings true for me.

You are riding one of the slowest foils around. Embarassed In the hands of pros racing foils go well in excess of 30 knots, similar speed of slalom in open water: https://www.windfoilzone.com/single-post/windfoil-speed

Last edited by dvCali on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys, except for Coachg, are all dreaming.
And searching hard to justify foils while looking for those perfect foiling conditions.
While those conditions DO exist, like 7-17 mph breezes, they are just basically really crappy wind conditions.
Now if you always seek those kinds of winds, then FOILING IS KING!
I say again, foils work great in crap breezes!
I might be the absolute worse 26 day foiler ever, but I'm out there with some of the best foilers on the West Coast so I do see the potential for having fun on days too light or too gusty/hoooley for windsurfing.
I hope not all days have grappy winds.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stake claim as the slowest foiler, Naish setup.
However, when I windsurf with the fastest foilers, which actually never really happens because they are course slalom while I'm reaching, they cannot keep up with me, while I cannot approach their angles. Get it?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sit on the beach in the "crappy" conditions or learn at fun new wind sport and turn lite gusty lake winds into a easy and fast day on the water day. You throw stones at my post and tell me how wrong I am but you weren't there. There at least 15 highly skilled windsurfer's that saw what I saw that will back up my claim. Most of us sail lite "crappy" winds on some obscure lake and foiling has changed the meaning of a great day on the water.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your sailors should get lightwind gear.
Not a 136 X-cite ride.
A good foiler on 5 meter sail is similar to a good windsurf on a 7 meter sail.
Foiler has better angles. Ws more speed and can carve g force jibes.
Now if you compare Ws using non planing jibe skills, and using expert foiler...
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and Dave V....
I saw you all stoked up on foiling early spring, yet you always complain about light winds.
And now you extoll the virtues of foiling again.
Are you going to foil? Or just talk about how great it is.
Me, it's gray. I can sorta foil, not like KK or anyone with 70+ days [suspect KK is a phenom, like Wyatt], but I still windsurf to 3 to one.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in SW Florida we don't have to "seek" crap winds because crap winds are all we get for most of the year. Foiling is the most interesting and highest performance type of sailing we can do in our typical seabreezes that barely reach 10 knots.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would account for my skewered thoughts.
Berkeley blows around 12-22 5 days a week, and I get to the beach 7 days a week.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Seattle race series which allows any WS equipment on windward leeward courses the winning is split between raceboards and foils depending on the night. Before foils it was rare for a formula setup to win although many tried.
For that area foils are a revolution and many people are regularly going faster than 25kts on setups that also make great VMG upwind.

For me it's more about a playful setup that is can carve without dumping energy. I could care less about speed.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
My typical top speeds on the Infinity 76 wing are shit- only around 15-16 knots even when I feel nicely powered. The "25 knots" Slingshot lists for the foil seems unrealistic, but maybe there is some technique or tuning for high-speed reaching that I haven't figured out yet.

James, top speed will depend a lot on the wind. Your typical foiling conditions are probably 10 knots gusting to 15. Some guys foil even in 35 mph wind, and the Slingshot guys definitely go out in more than 15 knots in the Gorge. Getting the foil going near top speed will likely require some mad skills, but that's also true for slalom equipment.

d0uglass wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing the GPS tracks of somebody who is getting significantly faster speeds on it.

Slugger posted a 21 knot session in April.
I've attached a screen shot with polar diagram from his session (downloadable from https://www.ka72.com/Track/t/382306). Note that the polar diagram shows almost the same speed on a beam reach that he gets on deeper angles.

Last time I saw Slugger in February, he was just starting to foil. He's a pretty good windsurfer, though. Wind was probably below 20 knots, maybe closer to 15, in this session. He'd windsurf in more wind.

The faster foil guys in Oz are usually on racier foils, and tend to post speeds in the mid-20s.

But I don't think top speed matters much for most windsurfers getting into foiling. 15 knots on a foil still feels plenty fast to me!

21 knots on Infinity 76.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.64 KB
 Viewed:  6896 Time(s)

21 knots on Infinity 76.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: