myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No wind anywhere....the whole USA????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: No wind anywhere....the whole USA???? Reply with quote

Other than a few isolated hotspots (the Gorge) it seems like there's a two week period we're in here in July, where the WHOLE COUNTRY is windless!!! WTF?!?!
I haven't sailed since mid-June and I had to drive almost five hours to get that! Is this an El Nino year?

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the central coast of California. A little lake 10 miles inland from Pismo beach. Its been weaker than normal but we have been foiling everyday since the start of the season in May...
flaherty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cape Cod Mass has had a bad spring a bad early start to summer. Although yesterday was fairly good. I think the weather patterns have changed significantly. Maybe an aberration, but the aberations are adding up.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pt. Isabelle has been 25-29 10 out of the last 15 days and the others were 15-21.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorge has has an unusually windy season so far (By the seat of my pants and feedback from many locals), but the wind quality and "forecastability" have often been dismal. Something's wrong when scores of people drive one to four hours and barely sail at all because the wind just doesn't happen or is too crappy to bother with it. Other days may provide great wind but no one forecasted them so few catch them. Many are what I call "drive-bys" ... a front slams a spot for a wild, very gusty, highly variable hour preceded and followed by pure crap.

For the past few years, my answer to "What's the forecast?" ten times a day has been very accurate and consistent: "Whatever you like. Give me almost ANY wind range and I'll show you a matching forecast for today." The even bigger problem has been that no one source has been even generally, let alone consistently, right or wrong.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been exceeding the forecast here in Victoria BC this spring but now we've seemed to hit a lull with absolutely nothing for at least a week. Highly unusual for what is usually the most consistent month of the year.
Locals say it's the lack of a strong Four Corners ridge which usually deflects systems to the North and let's us enjoy strong thermal winds daily.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've countered this in two ways:

1) Always bring the foil no-mater the forecast, it's saved me from a LOT of frustration.

2) When wave sailing, I'm always going to bring my SUP with a windsurf insert. I had a blast yesterday on my 120ltr Fanatic Stubby foil SUP as a windsurf set up. Worked on my light air skills, worked on reading and windsurfing fun little waves, had more fun than I can remember.

Light air is fun again, my inner windsnob is dead!

DC
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
I've countered this in two ways:

1) Always bring the foil no-mater the forecast, it's saved me from a LOT of frustration.

2) When wave sailing, I'm always going to bring my SUP with a windsurf insert. I had a blast yesterday on my 120ltr Fanatic Stubby foil SUP as a windsurf set up. Worked on my light air skills, worked on reading and windsurfing fun little waves, had more fun than I can remember.

Light air is fun again, my inner windsnob is dead!

DC

Schlog and ride!
philodog

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorge is hogging it all. 10 days on a 3.3 in June, batting 1000 for July so far on 4.2 or smaller. I don't even carry my 4.7 anymore. End of gloat. Laughing
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay Area has been windy every day after a bad start to the year. Some funky conditions, a lot more SW, but the Bay has so many sites that work on different conditions
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: