myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The new wing sails will transform beginning windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: The new wing sails will transform beginning windsurfing Reply with quote

I just posted the following comment on a Youtube video for a particular wing sail:

Ease of use coupled with convenient transport and relatively inexpensive cost will eventually make the market for inflatable wing sails for SUPs larger than the foil market. SUP is already larger than windsurfing, and a wing can transform any SUP into a windsurfer. I think all states have places that rent SUPs, therefore a sailor with a wing sail can rent a SUP and windsurf in all states. Wing sails don't change the cost of foiling, but they do reduce the cost of beginning windsurfing when the wing is coupled with a SUP
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 guys at the lake are foiling on the Naish wing and doing pretty good. They have bigger surf foils on SUP foil boards. Seems to take more wind to get up on the foil than with a windsurf sail.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it kills me

AHD has had foils for years, yet never seemed to take off until now
what marketing trick did AHD miss ??

kitewings have been around for ages and now they seem hot topic
what was missed in the earlier days to make it accepted ??

i just don't get it
and will foiling bring windsurfing back into the lime light ??
foil board + foil + sail + mast + boom = ~$6000

for people getting into it, SUP + wing is less $$, but just not the same ...
(as windsurfing)
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that the wings will change much at the beginner end. Unless you're using a foil or you are at a place like the Gorge, getting back upwind with a SUP + wing seems tough. I also wonder about balance issues. Would be nice to hear about that from someone who's not a pro or near-pro.

From what I have seen, foiling will increase interest in windsurfing. At Kalmus, regular windsurfers are basically ignored by beach goers. But when someone is out windfoiling, there's lots of watching, pointing, and people asking questions.

Why now? Many trends came together. Shorter, wider boards make foiling a lot easier, and they are still a newer trend. We also have to thank the kiters! Lots of foil improvements were developed for kite foiling, and they made windfoiling a lot easier. Now that windfoiling is getting larger, we see very rapid improvements in windfoils. What was a good foil one or two years ago is now inferior to more current foils.

As for "marketing", perhaps the most important thing was to give windsurfers an option to try foils. We had several opportunities to try on Cape Cod thanks to Vincent and Fanatic and two shop (Inland Sea and 2-Rad). But the biggest driver was probably that Slingshot sponsored ABK Boardsports, which gave lots of windsurfers with a strong interest to learn new things a chance to try foiling, as well as qualified instruction to get started. That led to a lot of windsurfers buying foils, and in turn creating even more interest.

Another very clever decisions by Slingshot was the modular system, especially different mast lengths. That's a must for foiling in Hatteras, BIB, and even Kalmus at low tide. I was quite interested in getting another foil that probably would have been even better for my preferences, but the lack of mast length options nixed that - we bought a second Slingshot instead.

Cost is not a huge issue. You can get a decent foil and foil board for under $2K, less than most windsurf boards cost. Old boards that can be picked up for cheap work just fine, too. For boards with a powerbox, the PowerPlate works great; for boards with a medium or deep tuttle box, the collar that most newer foils have allows using the boards without requiring a box replacement. The collar is also something that was missing on the older foils.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I think your $6000 estimate is off by at least $3000, especially for average size person who will need no larger than a 5.5 rig.

Coachg
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wing sails are very interesting for a light wind option because they seem to offer a massive range when combined with a foil. Locals who are trying them indicate they have the bottom end of a slightly larger sail and the top end of a significantly smaller one. Many of my local spots are very gusty so this has appeal.

Just getting up on the board and foiling might be a bit harder than windfoiling but apparently gybing and playing in swell is far easier. It's one of those things I'll definitely try before purchasing unlike my foil which I knew would massively boost TOW (which it did).

The issue for me is needing another board. I don't SUP and have no intention to start.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wing sail on current windfoil board should work for most foilers. My 122 Naish is sometimes used for SUP.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Wing sail on current windfoil board should work for most foilers. My 122 Naish is sometimes used for SUP.

The board in question would need to have a way of moving the foil forwards, like the Naish does. You need to be standing right over the foil while in the middle of the board's buoyancy.
A standard windfoil board likely won't work.
I can forsee all freeride foil equipment going to the double track attachment and race stuff staying DT for this reason.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an avid SUP paddler and I'm eager to try to a wing sail on a non-foil SUP to see how it feels and works. Then maybe I'll be able to make a prediction about whether or not it will be a big deal.

I definitely think the compatibility with existing non-wind powered boards (including longboard skateboards!) is a big attraction for these wings.

The attached sail design of regular windsurfing and the flying kite of kiteboarding both seem a little too complicated to have the same "grab and go" appeal to non-sailors that the hand-held wing has.

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To GrantM...
Why not start middle and move back just like windfoiling?
As the board goes from fast slog towards lift, you HAVE to move back to further accelerate anyways.
Maybe not as far back as windfoiling, but unwetting to reduce drag to build some forward speed..maybe 7mph, to allow the foil to lift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: